Complete France Forum

Equitable Life and the importance of maintaining....

mint

good relations with the people you sell your house to![:D]

This morning, quite out of the blue, I had a phone call from the people who bought our house in the UK 8 years ago.

She found a letter addressed to OH from EL and it was apparently opened already.  Be that as it may, it contained a cheque for OH.  We'd never bothered to contact EL, thinking it unlikely that we would get anything.

The lady went to some lengths to get our new French address, rang this morning and will be forwarding us the cheque.

Here's the other part of the story.  A couple of years after we moved into our first French house, a letter came from the notaire's office for the previous owner.  Now this anglais was not only very free with true facts about the house but also made it very clear that he wanted nothing to do with us, didn't want to leave a phone number (not even a mobile number) and certainly no forwarding address.

The result was that I was unable to pass on the letter, which could also well contain a cheque as it was about the same time that we had our "refund" from the notaire for excess fees paid.

So, you see, there is a moral to be had.  Some things do not produce the outcome that you would expect but then, at the time of acting, there is no knowing, is there?[;-)]

I did not leave any details with our buyers in France. We never met them but a few things happened during the sale which I did not like and actually ended up costing quite a bit of money, so I thought medos when they asked for our details. 

As it happens our old neighbours who are still friends, do not like them and have nothing to do with them. I daresay if there was something very important the buyers could ask them if they knew where we were.

It all boils down to how one feels in every situation doesn't it?[:)]

[quote user="idun"] I did not leave any details with our buyers in France. We never met them but a few things happened during the sale which I did not like and actually ended up costing quite a bit of money, so I thought medos when they asked for our details. 

As it happens our old neighbours who are still friends, do not like them and have nothing to do with them. I daresay if there was something very important the buyers could ask them if they knew where we were.

It all boils down to how one feels in every situation doesn't it?[:)]

[/quote]

As I have said, when you do whatever it is, there are always consequences which you can't always foresee.

I was only telling the story as a bit of light relief and to remind people that they may yet find some use in contacting EL, even if years later since they cashed in their policy and even if they don't think compensation is due.

That worked out really well, Sweet. We both had letters last year from EL, had to send paperwork but both received some of what we'd given up as lost. Not a fortune, but it felt very good to have got something back.

We've always left our details with our buyers - always a good move, I think, as well as paying for redirection for a year.

[quote user="gardengirl "]

We've always left our details with our buyers - always a good move, I think, as well as paying for redirection for a year.

[/quote]

How I agree, GG.

I have now come across 2 lots of anglais who have done what seemed like some midnight flit.

One pair were the ones we bought our first house from; some builder character who revealed their hand at the last minute of signing.  Turned out that he owed money at the trésor plus left some other creditors unpaid.

The people at the mairie were only asking me the other day whether I knew where they were.  How would I know if even those in authority don't?

Then there were the anglais over the road from our present house.  Sold to some Aussies.  They too owed money, for their part of the agreed new fosse, and they too didn't leave a forwarding address.  As I also didn't have an address for them, I could truthfully say that I didn,t know.

We have a very good relationship with the sellers of this house (also anglais).  They visit once a year when they come over to see friends and this year, they brought us some shopping.

We are also friendly with our present buyers (French) and we have exchanged mutual invitations to each others' houses. It's been very useful establishing an excellent rapport at the outset, in view of our neighbours who, to our horror, have tried all ways to scupper our sale and indeed lost us one initial buyer until we got wind of what they were trying to do.

I do believe in treating people in an amiable manner unless and until they prove themselves to be not worth my time or friendship.

[quote user="minnie"]We, too, had a nice little cheque from EL last year.[/quote]

Good for you, minnie; I remember and I was so very pleased for you.

Don't expect as much as you got because it was maybe 10 or more years ago when OH took out the money for an annuity.

Archived