Complete France Forum

'Seas of Red' at the Tower of London

Gardengirl

I'm pleased you managed to visit - actually experiencing it was so very different to seeing it on TV or in the papers, which actually did put it across well. I felt that the almost reverent way people moved around and the way people carefully shepherded the young, old and less able to the front, despite it having taken them ages to reach the front themselves, was moving.

I don't think the dismantling could be delayed; those who have bought poppies have contracts, and the volunteers will have made arrangements at work etc to be available from 12th November. Also, I think the transient quality of the display added to the meaning of it.

Lovely photos, Cendrillon.

I've just heard on R4 that two parts of the display will be staying until the end of the month - the flow from the Tower window and the arch into the moat by the bridge. I think it's the best compromise that could be made, giving a tiny flavour of the display, as there was such pressure on the authorities at the Tower to keep it open. Those two parts won't hold up the dismantling, cleaning and sending out of the vast majority of poppies.

Archived