Complete France Forum

Dreaming

idun

Where in the world, France included, and money not object, would you like to visit that you have not been to already.

I say money is no object, as maybe that Virgin Shuttle into space would come under that heading, but other places need not be expensive, just getting around to that visit.

Me, not only do I fancy going, but one day, I have to visit Iceland and see the Northern Lights, I have wanted to visit Iceland since I was in my teens. I had a chance of going twice now, the last being 8 years ago, but I was ill. One day.

I am always drawn by the north and the snow, I suppose that is why I ended up in the Alpes, didn't like the summers, but I loved my autumns and winters.

Either

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechuguilla_Cave

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_the_Crystals

(The second barely does justice but if you look at the first picture on the right, you should spot a very small human figure.)

Both are essentially closed to visitors and especially to old unfit crocks like me.

PierreZFP, that is somewhere I always imagine as being rather, for want of a better word[Www]....... sticky! [:-))]

I have watched programs about the cave of crystals, quite remarkable, looks like something from Superman. The older I get the less I like the idea of going into a cave.

I shall not infer that 'all' ladies expect to return from such a trip to Tahiti, with a fabulous black perle, BUT, I know of quite a few who have done just that, and even there, they are expensive. And I suspect, if I went, I would too.

Years ago I knew people who had lived in Iran, when the shah was still there, and they said it was a glorious country, with wonderful ancient sites to visit and good skiing. Never many documentaries about it these days, even on french tv.

For all I do not like the heat, I would like to go through the Panama Canal too and visit Las Vegas. Of the things I have done, I would dearly love to go to New York again.

In travel terms, I've been lucky to visit many, many countries as part of my old jobs, and there are a few I'd love to visit again. On my list to return to one day are Australia, Vietnam and Kenya/Uganda/Tanzania.

I've never been to India, and I would love to do a grand tour of the country one day, if I'm lucky and rich enough.

Japan.

+ San Francisco. I've been there on business years ago & it was a really nice city with lots of interest 'outside' (this breaks the rule of the original question, but others are already talking of previous places).

+ Vienna. Best city in Europe.

[quote user="idun"]Where in the world, France included, and money not object, would you like to visit that you have not been to already.

I say money is no object, as maybe that Virgin Shuttle into space would come under that heading, but other places need not be expensive, just getting around to that visit.

Me, not only do I fancy going, but one day, I have to visit Iceland and see the Northern Lights, I have wanted to visit Iceland since I was in my teens. I had a chance of going twice now, the last being 8 years ago, but I was ill. One day.

I am always drawn by the north and the snow, I suppose that is why I ended up in the Alpes, didn't like the summers, but I loved my autumns and winters.

[/quote]

I have been to Iceland, idun and it is a very interesting place.

Spotlessly clean, as one might expect thanks to its Nordic and Scandinavian influences. Trees are rare: my Icelandic hosts informed me they chopped 'em all down for heating and building many years ago.

Looks very green from the air as one flies in; grass you might think, but no, mainly Lichen as the soil is based on volcanic remnants.

I stayed at a new Radison, with superb views over part of Reykjavik from a large picture window: with a glacier some little distance from the town.

The first time I showered, I thought the drains were bad! Turned out when I thought about it, the slight smell was the result of geothermal hot water!

The Blue Lagoon allows outdoor swimming even in deepest Winter! clouds of steam and vapour rising from the volcanic pool!

I had dinner the first night at what was stated as one of the finest game restaurants in Europe: Mrs GS has never forgiven me for eating Smoked Puffin! A local delicacy.

One interesting point: the Icelandic gene pool is the purest on this planet and used by genetic researchers as a base reference.

Lovely people, lovely country, which has had its problems after my visit but is rapidly getting back on top.

Best time to visit is apparently, late Spring/early Summer. I was there in early October.

Archived