Complete France Forum

A faint hope of Justice?

NormanH

Very interesting. I think I am right in saying that French people retain their right to vote for life wherever in the world they live.

I listened to someone on TV who said that expats who have moved abroad under a previous treaty have, IN THE PAST, been able to continue to enjoy healthcare and pension rights as before.

He said he thought that, if that practice were to be continued, then expats already living abroad should not be affected by Brexit but he emphasised that he was going on past precedents and did not know for definite that this would be the case now.

I think your right about French people who live abroad having voting rights but, and it is interesting,  I believe they have a designated member of parliament. The one problem I see for Brits abroad is where would they register? If there was a system with a dedicated MP then maybe that would work, but without it why should someone with no loyalty to an area, except a very distant residential connection have a possible say in what could affect the locals. Also I've said this before, lots of us holiday home owners in France get no say in our local affairs and we  pay local taxes. Anyway for all that I do think that in this referendum as it could affect them, that Brits living abroad in Europe do deserve a say.

This is something that I understand annoys NH beyond belief. There are things in this life that I feel the same about, but never this.

Just felt 'lucky' to have a vote for so long........... but as 'I' chose to leave the UK........  accepted that I was probably giving up quite a lot of things that I would have had if I lived there. This is one thing that does not feel like an injustice to me and hasn't since I lost my 'right'. And in this case, I don't care what the french do.

Interestingly the EU is pushing for all citizens to retain voting rights in their country of origin. See here:

In January 2014 the European Commission issued guidance to EU-Member States which have rules in place leading to a loss of voting rights for citizens in national elections, simply because they have exercised their right to free movement in the EU (Recommendation C/2014/391 finalpdf ). Whilst under the existing EU Treaties, Member States are competent to determine who can benefit from the right to vote in national elections, disenfranchisement practices can negatively affect EU free movement rights and are also at odds with the founding premise of EU citizenship which is meant to give citizens additional rights, rather than depriving them of rights. These recommendations follow the EU Citizenship Report 2013) in which the Commission already announced that it shall propose constructive ways to enable EU citizens living in another EU country to fully participate in the democratic life of the EU by maintaining their right to vote in national elections in their country of origin.

Archived