Complete France Forum

What to do with the Catalan leader?

woolybanana

What to do with Carles Puigdemont, now residing in Belgium and subject to an international arrest warrant for him for such things as rebellion? What a stupid charge, by the way.

Should he claim political asylum, go back voluntarily or go somewhere else?

What should the Belgium do? They dont really want him on their territory for fear of having a diplomatic spat with the Spanish?

Maybe he could go to Scotland where Minnie Mush will doubtless welcome him with open talons.

[quote user="Chancer"]The UK as a soon to be ex EUcountry would be the logical choice, the Ecuadorian embassy perhaps? Or better still hole him up in the British Embassy in Madrid!![/quote]

That would go down like a t*rd in a well[:D]

Just the job for UK /Spanish relations, I'm sure Gibraltar would welcome it too.

Sounds just what the Foreign Secretary would like.

Just waiting to him apply for political asylum. I think he should actually, along with his band of merry 'men and women'.

What should the belgians do, well, it is an international arrest warrant, so unless these people make the running legally, I do not see what else they can do other than make sure that the warrant is absolutely spot on and then arrest him. If the spannish have not worded it properly, then do nothing.

All very awkward and I would rather this be an internal EU problem rather than the UK being involved.

The reaction of the Spanish government has been horrific, un imaginative and downright stoopid. Much of the Catalan problem stems from Madrid's refusal to grant a greater degree of autonomy to the region, as they have done with the Basques.

Political asylum in Belgium seems the only possibility.

I heard he's now turned himself in.  Better than being hunted down, I suppose.

Yes, Madrid (Rahoy) was too heavy-handed and not quick-thinking enough.  All those pictures of Spanish police wading into Catalan voters will stay in the minds of many people around the world.

Now it's difficult for Madrid to find a way of making good the damage.

Sorry when I saw the title, all I could think bout was a Spanish sea shanty

What shall we do with the Catalan leader?

Earl-lie in the morning

Hoo-ray and up she rises

Rohay has some nasty surprises

Puidgemont’s off to the assizes

Earl-lie in the morning

Archived