Complete France Forum

Les Marseillaise

[quote user="Chas"]

The National Anthem may be seen by some to be a dirge compared to those of other nations, but it is the only one we have and as long as it is my National Anthem I will respect it and sing it with pride.

[/quote]

Chas

Well said.

Yesterday two verses of the National Anthem were sung in our local church at the Remembrance Day service, no hint of a dirge at all.

When we no longer have a Queen I would like to see us adopt the hymn "I Vow To Thee My Country" in place of God save The Queen.

Personnally, I don't think the National Anthem is a dirge at all, it normally give me goosebumps, and especially at occasions such as the remembrance ceremony.  I guess that is what you get for serving (gladly & proudly) the Queen and country for 25 years.

I do also enjoy the Marseillaise, and (when I eventually can remember all the words) will sing along just as heartily as when singing the NA.

When we no longer have a Queen I would like to see us adopt the hymn "I Vow To Thee My Country" in place of God save The Queen.

Oh dear. That would mean that Holst's superb suite would not be performed in its complete form. The theme from Jupiter, the bringer of jollity was never intended to be solemn (just as Nimrod was not, either). I think that Dyson's Song for a Festival would be much better.

The God save the King/Queen melody was adopted by other countries for national or patriotic purposes including the USA which only adopted its present anthem in 1931.

I find the French national anthem stirring - but its melody sounds as though it was written by a committee (I know it wasn't) and its words are not really acceptable in the 21st century.

"Oh dear. That would mean that Holst's superb suite would not be performed in its complete form. The theme from Jupiter, the bringer of jollity was never intended to be solemn (just as Nimrod was not, either). I think that Dyson's Song for a Festival would be much better."

I think we would we would still listen to the whole of The Planets, why not? We still hear Nimrod played as part of  The Enigma Variations even though it is frequently played on its own for solemn occasions.

"The God save the King/Queen melody was adopted by other

countries for national or patriotic purposes including the USA which

only adopted its present anthem in 1931".

Indeed, the other day I heard the Carl M. Von

Weber "Celebration Suite" and the God Save The Queen melody was

certainly in there.

I still think "I Vow To Thee My Country" would be a great choice for both words and music.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/v/ivow2the.htm

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

I still think "I Vow To Thee My Country" would be a great choice for both words and music.

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/v/ivow2the.htm
[/quote]

My objection to "I vow to thee my country" is that a great tune has been ripped away from its original context and given meanings that its composer never intended. Once it becomes a "national anthem" Jupiter will be changed in the ears of listeners to something Holst never intended. It was bad enough listening to its distortion during the Rugby World Cup about a decade ago. By all means use the words, but lets have an appropriate new tune. Nimrod is about friendship and support and companionship, not remembrance and mourning.

You know the definition of an intellectual? Someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without once thinking of The Lone Ranger.

The CE1 children in one of the schools I taught in last year were learning the Marseillaise off by heart. They asked me to teach them the British anthem, but when I did a rough translation for her the teacher wasn't sure if we could mention the G word in a French school!

regards

L

Nimrod is not exactly easy to sing, is it?

Maybe not but there I believe there are words now set to the music of Nimrod. 

Finlandia also has words "Be Still My Soul" which I quite like however I digress and this is not a suitable choice of National Anthem for the British.

As for Land of Hope & Glory, that will now also be considered jingoistic and war like?

I agree, it's not a top favourite of mine either, think we will leave that one to the football and rugby crowds.[;-)]

When all is said and done, if we change our anthem then I don't suppose anyone will ask my opinion.[:)]

[quote user="LisaJ"]

The CE1 children in one of the schools I taught in last year were learning the Marseillaise off by heart. They asked me to teach them the British anthem, but when I did a rough translation for her the teacher wasn't sure if we could mention the G word in a French school!

regards

L

[/quote]

I listened to the children singing both La Marseillaise and the British national anthem today at our two cemeteries, apart from being ashamed at not knowing all the words to either I noticed that their pronunciation was perfect except for "gracious" is this the "G" word and what does it signify here?

I was very pleased to understand all verses of La Marseillaise this time, two years ago it was still incomprehensible, could somebody please post the words of the full song (in French) here? It would help me to remember and maybe join in next year.

Hello !!

Here you are !!

La Marseillaise

Allons enfants de la Patrie
Le jour de gloire est arrivé !
Contre nous de la tyrannie
L'étendard sanglant est levé
Entendez-vous dans nos campagnes
Mugir ces féroces soldats?
Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras.
Égorger vos fils, vos compagnes!

Aux armes citoyens
Formez vos bataillons
Marchons, marchons
Qu'un sang impur
Abreuve nos sillons

Que veut cette horde d'esclaves
De traîtres, de rois conjurés?
Pour qui ces ignobles entraves
Ces fers dès longtemps préparés?
Français, pour nous, ah! quel outrage
Quels transports il doit exciter?
C'est nous qu'on ose méditer
De rendre à l'antique esclavage!

Quoi ces cohortes étrangères!
Feraient la loi dans nos foyers!
Quoi! ces phalanges mercenaires
Terrasseraient nos fils guerriers!
Grand Dieu! par des mains enchaînées
Nos fronts sous le joug se ploieraient
De vils despotes deviendraient
Les maîtres des destinées.

Tremblez, tyrans et vous perfides
L'opprobre de tous les partis
Tremblez! vos projets parricides
Vont enfin recevoir leurs prix!
Tout est soldat pour vous combattre
S'ils tombent, nos jeunes héros
La France en produit de nouveaux,
Contre vous tout prêts à se battre.

Français, en guerriers magnanimes
Portez ou retenez vos coups!
Épargnez ces tristes victimes
À regret s'armant contre nous
Mais ces despotes sanguinaires
Mais ces complices de Bouillé
Tous ces tigres qui, sans pitié
Déchirent le sein de leur mère!

Nous entrerons dans la carrière
Quand nos aînés n'y seront plus
Nous y trouverons leur poussière
Et la trace de leurs vertus
Bien moins jaloux de leur survivre
Que de partager leur cercueil
Nous aurons le sublime orgueil
De les venger ou de les suivre!

Amour sacré de la Patrie
Conduis, soutiens nos bras vengeurs
Liberté, Liberté chérie
Combats avec tes défenseurs!
Sous nos drapeaux, que la victoire
Accoure à tes mâles accents
Que tes ennemis expirants
Voient ton triomphe et notre gloire!

Just for balance, here are the words of the British NA.  I've just realised that the words in the second to last line of the last verse don't work when you have a Queen as monach!

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and Glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
Oh, save us all!

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

And this is the verse that was removed quite some time ago

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

Marshall Wade, referred to in the above lines, was an officer in the army sent to halt the advance of the Jacobite troops in the north. The lines were appropriately omitted when the song was adopted as the British National Anthem.

Archived