Complete France Forum

Monty Don's French Gardens

Gardian

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy most of Don's programs. I assume most people here know he had a stroke a couple of years ago and was off TV for a time.

I heard that our beds, mattresses, blankets, and wardrobes in Winchester were from the army. I am 72, so not all that young.

David

I think it was a small street in the town, the name sticks in my mind but it was a long time ago and I could have got it wrong! There was a song made up about a girl called Brenda who worked with us, it began "Brenda works on Ashley Terrace................" that's how I remember ASHLEY TERRACE. I will P.M. you the rest of the song if you are interested.[;-)][8-|]

I guess all this digging and excavating has a link with the gardening programmes [;-)]

I worked on a site in Victoria Rd in Winchester for the City Rescue Archaeologist where they knocked down a row of houses to put in a ring road. The ring road was never constructed and new houses replaced the ones knocked down. Odd how so many people here have Biddle/Winchester/Repton/St Albans/France connections. The City Archaeologist I worked for owns a house in Normandy.

On the other hand, I worked on Native American sites for The Cleveland Museum of Natural History when I wasn't in England. Never saw Monty Don there either.

David

[quote user="dwmcn"]

On the other hand, I worked on Native American sites for The Cleveland Museum of Natural History when I wasn't in England. Never saw Monty Don there either.

David

[/quote]

But I bet his American is better than his French![I]

[quote user="dwmcn"]

I found Ashley Terrace in the Fifth Interim Report of the Winchester Excavations, 1966. It is just called Ashley Terrace and is by the city station on Gladstone Street. Never throw anything away!

David

[/quote]I did a Google search on "Ashley Terrace" and it seems it was demolished in about 1973.

I found Ashley Terrace in the Fifth Interim Report of the Winchester

Excavations, 1966. It is just called Ashley Terrace and is by the city

station on Gladstone Street. Never throw anything away!

David

So my memory is correct and the date is about right as well. Don't forget I was very young then and even now am not nearly as old as David.[:)]

As to why so many on this forum were involved and it being strange that we all have connections / links / property in France, it's probably because we are the adventurous sort of person! [;-)][I]

Ashley Terrace is also in the Third and Fourth Interim Reports of 1964 and 1965. A section drawing shows a ditch with burials in it going below the cellars of houses number 2 and 3. The section runs from south to north and it is suggested that the ditch is Roman.

David

Yep, I have seed it. One last comment, as this thread is reallllly off-topic now and some posters might find it is becoming tedius.  According to the Interim Report, you must have stayed at Bushfield Camp. Monty Don says hi to everybody here on another social network.

David

Archived