Complete France Forum

France and Algeria

NormanH

In our third and longest stay in an appt in a city (edit) our landlord was pied noir, as was a neighbour in our village.

Apart from saying that they were pied noir, they never discussed Algeria at all.

Also, I worked with someone who had in the 60's worked with some pied noir, who he thought were avoiding France at that time. Hard men he said, but that was all.

AND Macron saying that colonisation is a crime against humanity, GIVE ME STRENGTH......... since the world began we 'orrible humans have been scrapping, fighting and taking over one another's land. It is just how we are.

So should I be packing my bags and go back to some nordic country, or a little further down, because I would guess that I have a lot of viking or anglo saxon blood in me.......... should the nordics be apologising and they took slaves too.

It's like apologising for slavery, there is MORE now than ever, and I have no idea if what I buy is not being produced by slaves...... no matter what the label says[:(]

Accept that us lot are gradually destroying the planet and are still being rotten to one another as a generalisation.

Algeria is problematic for the french, if they had stopped sticking the maghrebins in cites it might have helped a lot. We even had a mini cite

in a local town, not a big town, but I can more or less guarantee that the majority of residents are of north african descent in the appt blocks at the edge of town, with a few portuguese  thrown in for good measure, because certainly when I got to France the Portuguese were treat as if they were third class and only good for menial tasks.