Complete France Forum

How do you move to the UK ?

Peeps often ask how to move to France.

Well, I am asking how do you move to the UK.

How do you choose a place to live ?

Schooling ?

How do you buy a house ?. I really have no idea.

Do I move all our stuff of sell it ?

I have a 30 year old student bank account. So banking should be OK.

Car.....take your French car or buy a UK car ?

BTW...I don't want to set up a gîte. LOL.

Some thoughts please.

In 1978 we moved back to the UK after 16 years in Australia, Middle East and N Africa.

We bought our dream house on a river in Cornwall, with a view to staying there for the forseeable future.

We had no idea how much the UK had changed while we had been away. It no longer seemed like our country. Our children, aged 11 and 13, hated it.

We sold up and left for good after two years.

EDIT. At least we made enough on the house to cover all the other losses.

Be careful what you wish for.

First you watch 2 tv programmes:  Life Out of the Sun and Escape to the City.

Next you contact the British Embassy in Paris.  Details here:  [url]https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/british-embassy-paris/office/british-embassy[/url]

Finally, as you are ALBF, you might feel more comfortable in your own French enclave and here is a bit of information on that:

Population and distribution
Of the French-born people recorded by the 2011 census, 66,654 (48.4 per cent) lived in Greater London and 22,584 (16.4 per cent) in South East England. Within London, particular concentrations were recorded in the boroughs of Kensington and Chelsea, Westminster and Hammersmith and Fulham.

And les petits ALBF will soon make friends and settle down in their schools.

Et voilà.....bon démenagement[:D]

Where are you comfy in the UK, not London, too expensive, but elsewhere.

Where do you holiday?

I agree that the UK changes, so did France during our time there, and I would have been rather naive to believe that England was stuck in the early 80's, just as we had left it. I was not expecting that to have happened at all. And France has changed since we left, how could it not?

Your wife will need to register and there will be family income checks, just like France when we moved there. Your children, have they got british passports now? If you are moving back, then it would perhaps be a good idea.

I suppose we could have moved just about anywhere, and seriously considered Northumberland, but for all we love it, it is too 'remote' and I needed a town, not village life again. I love Newcastle, strangely we never thought about living near there or on the immediate coastal area there, ie Ericd lives in Whitley Bay.

What I can say is that we do not regret moving back. And for school, I truly wish we had moved back, what, 25 years ago, it was a big mistake for our children not doing that. Remember you can check up on schools ratings in the UK.

We get 'weather' here too, and some regions are very prone to flooding, and sometimes there are water restrictions because we can get hot summers too. So chose carefully.

Ah yes, the language, well that evolves, but you must know from your children all the argot they will know and perhaps use. Languages evolve, and if you choose our neck of the woods, well, it is what it is and some expressions and words are very nordic.

[quote user="anotherbanana"]Get partner’s approval.

Learn to speak Woke, Bame etc.

Find somewhere to live, region, area village or suburb. Find cash to buy rabbit hutch. Or wait to see if the impossible market is gonna crash.

Dump unwanted unneeded household rubbish, cars, kids etc?.

Just to start off.[/quote]

How about a rubber dinghy and a paddle!! Then you don't need to worry about all those things you mention!!

My impression of UK after 24 years away this time and 2/3rds of my life is that I am not sure I know the place or that I could be happy there for the last years remaining.

Much of what I see and hear annoys me or simply I dont understand.

ALBF, I am not sure how long you have lived in France but remember that cultures are divergent and the UK may only be superficially worse or better than France in any way.

So, you would have to treat the place ans a foreign country and see yourself as an expat.

Would your wife like it?

Oooh about 23 years now Wooly. And I am only a young 48.

Back on thread, it is very difficult to plan a move.

Not saying I would do it, but it is difficult when you think about it.

Is it easier to move to France or easier to move to the UK ?

My sons best friend flies off with his family tomorrow to the Ivory Coast for a new life

I quite fancy that.

Don't be daft ALBF, you've always said you don't like too much heat and that's why you wouldn't live anywhere in France south of the Loire.

So do you really think that the Ivory Coast is going to be cooler than Tours?[:-))]

I think you are suffering from confinement or couvre feu fever.  You need to be patient, like the rest of us...... 

Frankly with a young family I would be looking at New Zealand.

And the move, well. I suppose with brexit it will be like our move to France. Every last item you would be taking with you would need to be listed and translated and valued.

It is not a hard move, at least not any harder than when we moved to France. If you want to do it, you just get on and do it. Would it really be any harder than moving within France. 

What I would do, if I was taking a lot of stuff back, and if it is still possible and that is get a UK removal company to collect your goods in France. Get lots of quotes. Half the price of the quotes we had from french removal companies.