Complete France Forum

Ryanair again!

There was an interesting article just ended on the program that I am currently watching, Capital on M6, it was about the locost carriers and concentrated on Ryanair with respect to the kickbacks that they get from the regional airports, they reckoned that they amount to 350 million euros per year.

They interviewed le grand fromage at l'aeropert d'angoulême in the control tower, there were no air traffic controllers as there were no longer any flights as a result of the (I presume) Conseil Generale refusing to pay the increased demand from Ryanair.

I didnt see all of the program but switched on when they were discussing a Turkish locost operator (I didnt get the name) whose staffing costs are half that of Ryanair or Easyjet, does anyone know who they are?

Dependant on how you get your telly you may be able to watch a rerun of this programme, I can now do this with Free.fr or perhaps on the net?

There is a brand spanking new airport right on my doorstep that has sat idle since its inauguaration a couple of  years ago, it has yet to welcome its first incoming flight after Jet2 pulled out last year. Mysteriously they have just built a second passenger terminal yet the first has full facilities, baggage scanners etc that have yet to scan one bag, today I saw a brand new shuttle coach parked outside the new but deserted terminal, the plot thickens.

With the greatest respect Chancer, these sort of numbers just don't add up.

Take Nimes as an example of an established Ryanair destination. Let's assume average charges of €20 per outbound passenger. One flight per day over a full year (I know that they fly to Charleroi & Liverpool, but not all flts are daily), with an average 150 person occupancy. I get just over €1m p.a.

Now, what does it cost to run an airport like that year-round?  €2M?  Probably a good deal more. Oh, and its a private company.

I can see that the local authorities would see it fit to bung in quite a lot to subsidise tourism / commerce in the area & probably enough to cover the costs of running the airport, but as for a 'kickback' to RA ..............??

For me, RA get the €1m (or whatever), the airport has to fund itself and provide facilities acceptable to RA.  Where the 'kickbacks' of €350M p.a. come from, are beyond me. Journalist fiction.

You dont have to offer the greatest of respect to me Guardian, I cant speak for the veracity of the figures and am cynical of journalism although I do find that the French type of exposé is usually weak and naive, which may say more about its target audience!

The 350 million was a figure thrown out for the group turnover coming from kickbacks, they showed a salon where Ryanair was choc a bloc with appointments from representatives from regional airports coming to negotiate (be shafted more like) the unlucky had to suffer the greatest indignity known to a Frenchman and were given their slot at lunchtime, methinks Ryanair know a bit about physchology.

The head honcho from Angoulême whilst refusing to confirm how much they had paid per passenger or were asked to up the ante to, did say that he knew that many aeroports were paying up to €40 per passenger.

The article ended with a Ryanair quote that in 10 years they expected pasengers to fly for free with the regional airports picking up the tab.

Chancer

Followers of Yes Minister will recognise your local airport as being a model of efficient operation and it will continue thus as long as there are no customers to spoil things.

In the next few years I am sure that Ryanair operations will change a lot. There will be fewer flights to/from UK with far more intra mainland Yoorp. Having looked at prices for Toulouse/Lisbon/Faro there are plenty of opportunities for an O'Leary.

Long may he reign.

John

Of course Di, the answer was shouting me in the face.

The airport is so efficient that it can only be a matter of time before they start the second runway, I'm sure its on the cards as I can see exactly where they will place it.

In fact come to think of it the aeroport was preceded by the most efficient TGV station known to man, TGV Haute Picardie A.K.A. le gare des betteraves

Archived