Complete France Forum

Car hire to Ouistreham - help please

Kitty

A friend wants to hire a car from Bordeaux to the ferry port of Caen, Ouistreham, and leave the car there.  I recall that you can do this and leave the keys in a box.  Does anyone know which company does this?

So far, I have only found car hire companies (Avis and Hertz) where the drop off is Caen, which is some 20 mins away, and would involve an onward expensive taxi ride.

There is a shuttle bus from the ferry to Caen; tickets were on sale inside the terminal, not on the bus itself, though that may have changed.

According to Brittany Ferries website there is no car rental company in Ouistreham. All the major companies are in Caen next to the railway station. Europecar, tel - (0825 358 358) will deliver cars to the terminal if pre-booked.

CareHire 3000 and Argus Car hire have been mentioned as having places in Ouistreham, but I don’t know them personally.

Thanks GG.  I'll try to find out more about the shuttle.

I rang Brittany Ferries and they have given me the local Caen numbers for Hertz, Avis and Europcar, so I can going to ring them direct to find out about a drop off box.  But it's lunchtime and so they are not answering....  Oh the joys of France.

I'll report back.

There used to be a car hire company based in the ferry terminal building, but it hasn't been there for three or four years now. I think the car hire offices in Caen are near the railway station, which as previously mentioned has a bus which connects it with the ferry terminal, timed for the arrival and departure of the ships. Tickets for the bus are sold at the tourist information desk in the terminal building, presumably you can buy them at the other end too (or on the bus perhaps - I've never used it).

[quote user="La Guerriere"]Europcar do car pickups and drops at the Mercure hotel just across the road. [/quote]

Just across the road from where?  the terminal building?

This one?  Very useful if it is.

http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-1967-mercure-ouistreham-riva-bella/index.shtml

Archived