Complete France Forum

Cheapest way to get from France to UK with car

osie

If you are talking one way only then Eurotunnel are doing return day trips at the moment for £22 or maybe its €22 which is very good value.

They seem to do this very November and I always use the return ticket as a one way, either for my outbound or return journey.

I know that there will soon follow loads of postings saying that its in contravention of their T&C's, that they will debit a full single fare from your/my credit card etc etc etc, all I can say is that I do this every time that Eurotunnel has a cheap deal and it has not yet happened, if ever I do pay the price of my percieved sins then I will let the forum know.

I should add that I also do this with all the other ferry operators when their day return tickets are cheaper than a single or half of a return ticket and never had the slightest problem, I doubt that the mythical penalties for non compliance have ever been charged or have any legal basis, certainly they are written in a very wooly language intended to intimidate with phrases like "we reserve the right".

For a return I think Norfolkline have a good deal at the moment buy maybe it was for motor homes and caravans, worth a look.

As an added intimidation measure to book this promotion you have to phone Eurotunnel during the conversation they will read the T&C's to you with particular emphasis on the one concerned finally asking you with equal emphasis "have you understood these terms and do you agree to abide by them?". They still dont/didnt penalise though, good luck to you.

I can't recall where I saw it but, along the same lines a Chancer, somebody had made use of the special day return offers on the tunnel to make one way trips.

Although suffering no penalty on their credit card for not using the return portion of the ticket, they eventually found themselves on a blacklist and were unable to take advantage of further offers. I suppose the booking system is designed to flag up names / registration numbers / credit - debit cards, etc, of those who repeatedly abuse the system.

Most things that you read like that S.S. are just wistfull thinking on the part of someone who percieves that by someone else profitting they are losing, these thoughts are then perpetuated by well meaning people like yourself, its especially true when the subject is motoring, registration and insurance, cars left at airports etc.

Were there to be a blacklist I am sure that I[:)] would be close to the top of it by now

I didnt choose it.

Someone who used to be on this forum was fond of calling me a Chancer in a pejorative fashion and I thought well if the cap fits then wear it!

I have already chosen the words to be put on my gravestone "Whats the worst that could happen!!"

[quote user="Chancer"]

Most things that you read like that S.S. are just wistfull thinking on the part of someone who percieves that by someone else profitting they are losing, these thoughts are then perpetuated by well meaning people like yourself, its especially true when the subject is motoring, registration and insurance, cars left at airports etc.

Were there to be a blacklist I am sure that I[:)] would be close to the top of it by now

[/quote]

I'm not in the habit of perpetuating urban myths Chancer, simply repeating something I'd read. If you're happy to continue doing it your way then fine, but I also hope you'll be quick to tell us when and if it backfires on you.

[:)]

[quote user="Chancer"]

I know that there will soon follow loads of postings saying that its in contravention of their T&C's, that they will debit a full single fare from your/my credit card etc etc etc, all I can say is that I do this every time that Eurotunnel has a cheap deal and it has not yet happened, if ever I do pay the price of my percieved sins then I will let the forum know.

[/quote]

I loved your denonciation perpetuating of an urban myth [:D][:D]

This was the e-mail they sent me:

Book with DFDS Seaways by 29 March 2012, and you can sail with your car and caravan or motorhome any time from now until 13 December 2012 for these incredibly low fares:

Motorhome + 4 from €29* each way, with ^offer code DF03 Interested? Click here

Car & Caravan/trailer from €49* each way, with ^offer code DF04 Interested? Click here

I got another one for car only for £24 but I usually end up paying less than that.

I find it harder and harder to get a cheap deal for the car and trailer and usually have to resort to a bit of trickery with Seafrance whose employees never check the size of a trailer, one advantage of a state owned service.

Me too, I have to really juggle my times to take the trailer now or profit from special offers like day returns, it was less than a decade ago that I could do a practice day at Croix en Ternois circuit from the UK with a return for the car and race car trailer from P&O for twenty quid or so it seems in my rust memory.

You have got me confused now, I thought the e_mail from DFDS seaways was the Norfolkline crossing, what route is the DFDS one?

Whatever you do, don't just turn up and hope for a cheap deal; they believe that they have the "short and curly" grip on you!!

We had to make an emergency trip to UK in September; normally we would fly but in this instance it was a "life or death" matter with a sick relative and we had to pack and leave immediately. We drove up to Calais and first tried Eurotunnel... 220€ single!! Funnily enough we found that they have a special lane to take you back to the main road should you decide not to accept the ticket price!! Then we went to P&O and got a single for 105€.

Just booking online a day earlier is considerably cheaper (if you have the chance). Coming back a single crossing with P&O booked the day before cost £39.

We have friends who live in France, and buy a carnet of tickets for Eurostar (I think 5 returns) Even if they don't use them all, they still reckon to be quids in because they last for a year, and are insurance for an urgent trip back to UK. Sorry, don't know the current price.

[quote user="Frecossais"]We have friends who live in France, and buy a carnet of tickets for Eurostar (I think 5 returns) Even if they don't use them all, they still reckon to be quids in because they last for a year, and are insurance for an urgent trip back to UK. Sorry, don't know the current price.
[/quote]

They wouldn't let us take our car on Eurostar last time I tried! [:-))]   Couldn't resist that, sorry, but the thread is about taking your car. [;-)]

Archived