Complete France Forum

A sense of déjà vu

Chancer

A funny thing happened to me in the magasin de bricolage, it reminded me of when I first arrived here, I was asking the sales assistant where to find something but I couldnt remember the name so I had to play the game of describing it, you know something to use for something, a thingy like something else but for a different purpose etc etc. The assistant then played his part by making suggestions until he got the right item.

All quite understandable except that I was in B&Q in the UK and for the life of me could not find the English for "une boite de rangement pour les vis" The understanding old guy (as they like to employ there) said "are you perhaps looking for an organiser box to put screws in?"

It was then that I made my final faux pas, - I replied "voila!"

He must have thought that I was taking the pee.

Oh I know just what you mean. Our French neighbour, who speaks good English, sometimes asks me the name of something in English and it is sooo embarrasing when I can't remember! Also heard a couple of ladies speaking French in MandS once when visiting the UK, and I stepped back and bumped into them - "pardon madam" was my immediate response[8-)]

This made me chuckle......but then there's the opposite situation, as I witnessed at first hand (and, admittedly, with great and increasing pleasure) just last week. With apologies to those very few who may have read the story elsewhere:

Went on a shopping trip last Saturday. Parking spaces were very thin on the ground, so I spotted someone about to leave and pulled in to wait, indicating that I was turning in. A French-registered car drove past me, turned at the end of the aisle, and, as the car I was waiting for pulled out of the space, he drove into it from the other side!! Now I know he must have seen me waiting because he drove past me, so as he pulled in, looking very smug, got out of his car with his wife and looked toward me, trying to effect the Gallic Superiority look, I let him have it with both barrels in my best French. It was clear to him that some sort of response was necessary................and it was then that he had to back down and say "Sorry, I'm English". The net result was that, having been made to look a total pi****k, he had no real alternative but to get back in and shift his car.

As he sheepishly got back in, I said something like "It just isn't your day, is it? Of all the people you could've picked to pretend to be French to, you picked a French teacher"

Far from not being able to summon the words in the correct language, he couldn't summon the words in any language. A salutory lesson for anyone who wants to give the "pretending to be French" trick a whirl.[:D]

Archived