Complete France Forum

Q. for french speakers

gosub

Thanks Clair

The reason I asked is a friend of mine who speaks very little French was admitted to hospital in an emergency and cannot get out of bed, he wanted to do a number 2 and asked the nurse several times for the toilet and despite his protests, each time she brought the No. 1 pot. Eventually he sent me a text to ask me the correct way to ask. I replied to the text with the above phrase but no matter how many times he tried to say it, they could not understand his request, ( why he didn't show them the text message, I don't know) I thought I may have got it wrong.

I am grateful that there are several native French speakers on this forum who will take the time to respond too what to some people might seem silly questions, but you can't always do a Google translation for some of the phrases required.

Has your friend tried pointing? Perhaps to the spreading brown stain [6]

Joking apart it must be awfull to be hospitalised and not be able to communicate, I remember when my late father was in hospital following his (soon to be fatal) stroke he could not talk or move  but was clearly in some considerable pain, even without speech and facial muscles his expression and eyes showed it, by talking to him and reacting to him squeezing my hand I was able to find what the problem was.

My stays in hospital 2 years ago were the wake up call and kick start that I needed in learning the language. 

Perhaps a simple question.....

I had the need to tell a French engineer to stay where he was and I would come to him.

I got the ''restez la'' but there is some confusion (to me) about the correct way to say ''I will come there'', a French colleague says its ''je viendrais la'', I have a feeling its ''Je vais y venir''

Which is correct?

Archived