Complete France Forum

Vous savez bien?

Pads

Vous savez bien? = you know well ? or I guess just.... you know ? But can it also be used to say ..... you know why ?

Im translating and I'm sure he is saying... you know why? But I have never seen it written like this ....

Also...  Il ne sert pas...  Does this mean he is not sure ? I cant find a verb to match and its not in my big Book , which verb does this come from? 

Many thanks ....

Think of it as "Well you know"

"Et vous le savez bien"

And well you know it!

"Vous savez" is normally used for you know, with an interrogative tone if necessary, I often hear "Quoi" used in everyday speech for a normally superflous "nowottimeen," or "innit," [:D]

editted:

For the second question perhaps is means he (it) is useless, the verb being servir, "ça sert pour rien" is what I usually say,

Thanks Chancer ...but that still dosnt fit in with whats being said as its a question.....

I will give you the back ground ....

2 people meet she tells him her name and he says says ...Je suis poil de carotte ..she dosnt understand why (as she thinks he has blonde hair) ...  she says Comment ?

He says.... Poil de carotte, vous savez bien? .... she says no.........   

so it looks like he is saying ...you know why ? or being Ironic and saying maybe ...you can see why ?? Im not sure ... your nowotimeen(as he points to his head)  fits in .....maybe ;)

re second question could it be ...it is not used ?

Now heres a odd one .....

He says let me tell you a secret....... C'est M.Lepic qui a l'air sévère et c'est Mme.Lepic .....Ah !!

Now is he saying ....it is Mr Lepic who has the pretense of being servere but its Mrs Lepic who is the servere one ....

or the over way around ??  

[quote user="Pads"]Also...  Il ne sert pas...  Does this mean he is not sure ? I cant find a verb to match and its not in my big Book , which verb does this come from?[/quote]

The verb is servir (= to use).

More context needed for more details.

In this context, vous le savez bien? = you know, don't you?

An assumption is made of the other person's understanding/knowledge and "vous le savez bien" is used to seek confirmation.

[quote user="Clair"]
In this context, vous le savez bien? = you know, don't you?
An assumption is made of the other person's understanding/knowledge and "vous le savez bien" is used to seek confirmation.

[/quote]We've sort of discussed this before - I do find translating literature like this is always really tough.  Clair is right (natch), but if I were translating to produce a watchable play which made sense in English, I think the line would work more naturally as something like : "And as you've probably guessed already, my name's carrot top."  But I can see that it might not convey the fact that you understood the meaning of "vous le savez bien."

Thanks yes I get that now ...

Now ... (nearly finished !!) 

Il ne fait que rire dans sa barbe. Il aime mieux se faire comprendre par un geste que par un mot .

He laughs in his beard ??? im assuming this means he mumbles ? Then.. he likes to be understodd by gesture than by words ?

Non, these are expressions, so treat them as if they are.

In fact I just googled 'il rit dans sa barbe' and there is a very interesting chinese french web site that had a discussion about this expression.

Also a list of proverbs here.   http://www.cjonquiere.qc.ca/anglais/Help/Tips/Traduction/proverbes.html 

I suppose I would say; as always he was laughing his socks off. He likes to put on an 'act' rather than say anything.

I certainly don't know all the french proverbs and sayings by any means. I don't think that I know all 'english' ones either. I think that you really need to be more relaxed about these translations.

Many years ago, on, I think, the wonderful 'Les Enfants du Rock', they did a sketch. Two young people, both french, who meet in a pub in London. Neither knows the other is french but they speak english with literal translations from french. When one of them thinks the other is a bit of a nutter, they say, are you a hammer or not? It was full of such things which we found hilarious and the only reason I remember that saying is because we still use it to this day. Marteau ou quoi [;-)]

[quote user="idun"]

. He likes to put on an 'act' rather than say anything.

[/quote]"Actions speak louder than words" is about as close as we come, I think.  So, "He likes to let his actions speak louder than his words," or something along those lines.

Again,  as Idun points out, these are sayings and to translate them verbatim, imo, loses so much of the true meaning.

I would love to see that Idun, is it on the web anywhere?

I do agree Pads that you need to take a more laid back approach to reading, it will come in time all by itself.

I like you used to ponder every word/phrase and always read French books with a EF/FE dictionary and Bescherelle to hand, now I just follow the plot and understand the meaning of most things if not the fine detail, if my comprehension of something seems at odds then I will resort to looking it up but it is rare now, eventually after having read/heard these phrases enough often the exact translation/meaning will jump out at you one day in a moment of realisation, often as has been discussed there is no literal translation but nonetheless you understand the phrase and it becomes part of your French vocabulary.

That is when the problems start when you unconsciously peppering your English conversation with nonsensical translations of French phrases!

These days I am quite uncomfortable speaking in English as I am very self conscious of the strange way that I now speak, I am much mre at ease speaking a sort of Franglais with another French speaking English person, I dont stumble over my words and as more often than not the conversation is about something in France it seems perfectly natural to do so.

Having read the books "a year in the m***e" and "M***e encore" I can identify with the character whose speaks just like I do.

Sometimes when I read some of Iduns postings I find that she writes things in the way that I think (in French) which pleases me!

When you are able to read French books without concerning yourself over the detail then reading becomes a pleasure rather than a chore or exercise, hence you do it more and get more out of it.

Thanks everyone for your help today..... where did today go , I said I was only going to work till lunch... whoops missed that !!

So thats enough for today

When im reading for pleasure !! HA.....  I do take a more relaxed view , but this is a translation for school home work ..so like to pick at it a little more ... I do have a name at school as the class swot ....but who cares its important to me...;)  

[quote user="cooperlola"]We've sort of discussed this before - I do find translating literature like this is always really tough.  Clair is right (natch), but if I were translating to produce a watchable play which made sense in English, I think the line would work more naturally as something like : "And as you've probably guessed already, my name's carrot top."  But I can see that it might not convey the fact that you understood the meaning of "vous le savez bien."[/quote]

I am just giving a nudge, leaving Pads do the translating bit. Producing a watchable play is beyond my limited skills![:)].

I do hope the nudge is in the right direction! [:-))]

What I meant was, although I felt you were quite correct, I think the whole business of translating works of literature as an exercise in comprehension is a minefield.  If you were a translator by profession, translating into your native tongue, you would use coloquialisms which weren't necessarily proper translations but which would (you might hope) convey the original author's intentions, and keep the thing interesting for the audience.  I was just making a general comment rather than disagreeing with you (which I don't!)  I think it's important to know your teacher before doing this so that you understand how far you can push the translation, and how literal you are expected to be.

I suffer the addled tete I'm afraid. I am seriously semi lingual now and sometimes things I know I should know, just won't show themselves.

Tis a very odd situation to be in. Also, it means that my views on life are ' very odd', AND they were a bit odd to start with. No hope for me really. [:D][:D][:D]

I understood what you meant ( its so hard on here as I dont have the use of my smileys for some reason)  I just think at the moment only being an early learner that my teacher wants to make sure I under stand the grammer and each word , Plus she will ask questions tomorrow and you can bet your bottom dollar the bits I skim over will be the bit she will ask about  ;) ... Not only that I like to push my self the extra mile .....but thats just me always making work for my self ....as my hubby says .. ;)

Also as a last thing I found this game on Amazon ...its great fun , I take it to the pub to meet my french class mate and it gives us hours of entertainment ....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BrainBox-Voyage-autour-du-monde/dp/B0019R0K12/ref=cm_cr-mr-img

So if your a learner like me ....go for it, you practise with out the slog.... 

Idun ...I know what you mean ...to amuse my self I stand in queues here at the shops or post office and practise what I would say to the person if I was in France ....I get to my turn ... and totally forget what I was going to say in English.... also avec , mais and lac are 3 words I just cant say any more in English .....Im beginning to sound like del boy ....

I wonder if they have some one like del boy on the telly who throws the odd wrong Engish word in ... on a comedy show ?   

Archived