Complete France Forum

French Art Terms

adbird

I am working on creating a French Art Unit with another teacher. I need the French equivalent of the art term Emphasis. In art is it defined as "when more attention is given to an area within the design because that area is meant to be more seen or more important". I was thinking the French term accent might be close but all of the references I see to it are language related and not art related. Anyone know of a better French term to use?

Merci!

I found a great list of translations of art terms when I googled but even in 30 pages I found no translation for emphasis as a noun so I didn't bother to post. They were all verbs also.  For example:

se concentrer sur                                                          focus on

attirer le regard du spectateur                                        attract the viewer’s eye,

catch the viewer’s gaze

retenir l’œil du spectateur                                              arrest the viewer’s gaze

entraîner le regard du spectateur vers                draw the viewer’s gaze off to

arrêter l’œil du spectateur                                              bring the viewer’s gaze up short

I don't think it helps but if you want it the full thing (it's a download-able document) then do pm me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

If Clair (who's French!) thinks that accentuer is the verb then I'd guess that your original surmise was correct.

Archived