Complete France Forum

Clair or Mrs Elephant if you are about....

woolybanana

Now I'll be very shocked if the term isn't 'ouvrier agricole'. Domestique to me, would mean a skivvy, cleaner, servant, someone who worked in a house, rather than on the land.

I remember the first time I heard the term 'labour' in french, we had gone to see a ploughing competition. It made perfect sense[:D].

Farm worker is "ouvrier agricole" - just like Idun said. And yes, I do know one, and this is what he calls himself.

Norman, AFAIK,  the word "laboureur" is very old-fashioned, no longer in current use.

For the time being I will remain neutral as to Wooly's level of domestication.[:)]

[quote user="5-element"]

Farm worker is "ouvrier agricole" - just like Idun said. And yes, I do know one, and this is what he calls himself.

Norman, AFAIK,  the word "laboureur" is very old-fashioned, no longer in current use.

For the time being I will remain neutral as to Wooly's level of domestication.[:)]

[/quote]

Rather like me alas..[:(]

[quote user="5-element"]Farm worker is "ouvrier agricole" - just like Idun said. And yes, I do know one, and this is what he calls himself.

Norman, AFAIK,  the word "laboureur" is very old-fashioned, no longer in current use.[/quote]

I concur.

[quote user="5-element"]For the time being I will remain neutral as to Wooly's level of domestication.[:)][/quote]

I concur.

[:)]

Now that is interesting, as a very old lady I know, had looking after the cows as one of her tache domestique and sometimes the boeufs too, along with the chickens, and along with popping so many babies out, that she had to give the last one away to her sister....... and care for her husband like he was a Lord........ and her husband's mother.

In all her married life, she had her widowed mother in law living with them and had to look after her as well as all those kids and him, for 45 years. They were viticulteurs too and quite well of and yet this woman had never been more than 80kms from home and that was only once.

All this came out when her husband died.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

The man who used the term was very old and had been in charge of les boeufs on the farm. Perhaps itr was appropriate for his age which was 80 odd?

Thank you everyone. I do so love concurrence though perhaps red currence are tastier!!

[/quote]

Berry funny.

Archived