Complete France Forum

Have you ever heard un épluche-légumes called.....

mint

un économe?

I so love the word and can only think it's to do with using the thing to peel off the skin of fruit and veg thinly and economically.  Clearly, they have not taken into account the wielding of this implement by OH.  You should see the chunks of potatoes and carrots that he always manages to take off together with the skin!

Oh, all right, not exactly mind-boggling or exciting but sometimes something sounds so "joli" that you feel the urge to share it"?

If nobody else finds this interesting, I am going to desist henceforth from sharing all the little gems I discover to an unappreciative audience![:P]

And NEVER complain that I am not sharing my wisdom or knowledge (as per Clair's tag on her posts!)[;-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

If nobody else finds this interesting, I am going to desist henceforth from sharing all the little gems I discover to an unappreciative audience![:P]

And NEVER complain that I am not sharing my wisdom or knowledge (as per Clair's tag on her posts!)[;-)]

[/quote]

Pearls before *****, dear Sweetie Pie!

Is it one of those awfull ones that have the lame at right angles to the handle it seems that all of the French ones are like that?

What is that all about? Talk about unergonomic!!

Would they use cutlery that had the business end at 90° to the handle?

Dont ever try miming the action of using one of them [6]

Is it one of those awfull ones that have the lame at right angles to the handle it seems that all of the French ones are like that?

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

U shaped with a two piece metal blade running across the top. Wonderful

for peeling veg. Fast and economic, a speed peeler. In England sometimes called a

French Peeler.

And Chancer I reckon, like my SIL, you are holding your veg at the wrong angle if you having problems with it.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Doudoune, you might like to rephrase your comments about the way that Chancer holds his vegetable![/quote]

Sometimes, Wools, I laugh at one of your posts and then I get vexed with myself for laughing.  Do you ALWAYS have to lower the tone of all  conversations?

And as for the peeler, yes I agree they are great, the ones I use have the same cutting blade but the handle is on the same axis not at 90° to it.

What is the difference? Well a sensible person should always cut away from themselves even if is safe its just the habit you should get into, those French ones you either end up cutting sideways which puts both hands at an awkward angle or  away from yourself which means one hand having to turn through 180° not at all ergonomic.

My French ex hated my UK peeler but she was just being awkward about everything at the time, she was one of the idiots that cut things towards herself amongst other sins like holding my vegetable in an unsympathetic manner.

Must be a man thing, my OH likes his handle and blade long and straight too. Still even with his preferred implement......he cannot peel as fast as I can!

Incidentally I do cut away from me, just not at right angles to my body. Imagine me holding a carrot at N E and then cut the carrot towards the NE. Or maybe you shouldn't imagine that at all.

But that is how I do it. I wouldn't hold a carrot at NE and then go cutting SW, which would be towards my hand![:-))]

I don't think anyone could cope with me if I had had a good drink. In the last 6 weeks, I have had half a guiness, which was very nice and a quarter of a glass of red wine, also very nice. I never ever think about a wee glass of anything. But I'm not telling you what I do think about[:)]

Going back to "économe" and I couldn't resist checking in the dictionary.  It says a "paring knife" so, when you think of "cheese-paring" (something I have been known to do frequently), I can see where the économe comes in [:D]

Theoretically then, Chancer is right, it doesn't say a vegetable PEELER, it says a KNIFE so I suppose you would expect the blade to be in line with the handle; therefore no 90-degree angle!  Ah, another of life's little problems solved, what a relief [I]

So, really, you can hold your vegetable any which way you want and peel forwards or backwards and it shouldn't make any difference?

Archived