Complete France Forum

Names for animals

Chancer

I Watch a lot of nature programs on French TV and have noticed that for many, if not all animals they use not only the general name like requin or chauve souris but another name that I cannot find in any of my dictionaries so I may have got the spelling wrong.

For the bats they generally call them "les rousettes" and for the sharks "les squales" (spelling may be wrong) there are many others but my mind is a blank.

Are these familiar names or something else? Why are they not to be found in a large dictionary?

And finally can you remind me of some of the other common ones please?

Squales are sharks and I thought that roussettes were too. But I think roussettes covers a few animals so could be chauve souris too.

I have watched far too many years of Thalassa (still do) to not have heard these expressions........[:D]

Mind you, I always think if I hear rousse in any word, there is red associated with it, and maybe there is a red shark, I just cannot think of one[8-)]

Where the word should have been in the dictionary, if my spelling was right I found rouspéter [:D]

Always a problem when you hear words and mistake their spelling, which is not always evident, I thought that cailloux was cayou, was writing devis as devi for ages but dear Quillans "divi" really made me laugh unless he meant that the builders were divvys [:P] 

Squale...from squaliform, which is , I think, a sub species or genus or whatever you call it, of the shark family.. It's also a make of diving watch, isn't it?

Eta here you go, knock yourself out. The roussette also crops up. Mystery solved. They're just different types of shark,

http://www.larousse.fr/encyclopedie/vie-sauvage/requin/178170

[quote user="Chancer"]

Where the word should have been in the dictionary, if my spelling was right I found rouspéter [:D]

Always a problem when you hear words and mistake their spelling, which is not always evident, I thought that cailloux was cayou, was writing devis as devi for ages but dear Quillans "divi" really made me laugh unless he meant that the builders were divvys [:P] 

[/quote]

Thankyou chancer, I would never have written rouspeter, and when I have tried to look it up haven't been able to find it as I hear houspeter. And I do know what that means.

I've not got a 'good' ear..... I obviously have a fairly good vocabulary of words I don't know how to write...............so thanks again[:D]

I heard a weird one the other day, I think it was just the French penchant for wanting to remame something in an Anglophone manner and cocking up the spelling.

It was a Bull Shark that they called un requin boule-dogue [:D]

In a similar vein I read this yesterday:

Un énorme merci , du fond du coeur , pour nous avoir suivi et supporter (dans les 2 sens du terme lool), vous êtes géniaux! !!

Lool?????

I had to resort to Docteur Google, it was indeed a pi55prononciation of LOL [:D]

Archived