Complete France Forum

Being too skinny

YCCMB

I seem to have made up a word. Not that I have ever used it (to my knowledge), but having just read an article that France has passed legislation requiring models to provide medical certificates, and to require photos which have been photoshopped to make models look thinner to say so, I've realised that the word for "thinness" or "skinniness" is "maigreur" but my brain SO wants it to be "maigresse"

Weirdly, my googling seems to suggest that "maigresse" exists, but the majority of links are either to Mahgrebin references or archaic texts. Is this a peculiarly North African word? I've spent so long there in the past that maybe my brain picked it up there.

What confuse me more is that it's "la maigreur" which seems to make it a feminine word with what my brain thinks of as a masculine ending.

I don't even know why I care, because unless I'm talking about someone else, I certainly won't be raising the topic of skinniness on my own account! ?

"Minceur" doesn't confuse me at all, so I guess "maigreur" shouldn't, either.

I'm putting it down to pre-Christmas brain fade.

Maigreur reminds me of the english word meagre, which our dictionary says come from the old french maigre, and that from latin macer.

But as you say, maigresse would make more sense.

Maybe N. Africans are called Mahgrebin because they're skinny?

Pat, your comment about skinny Mahgrebins made me laugh!

We recently returned from Morocco, and I commented at some point that Moroccan and Italian women seem to have a lot in common. Young ones all seem to be beautifully slim and elegant, but there's an age point at which they seem to shrink and expand!

Grossesse!!!!!

In that first year I moved to France, I thought I was pregnant and went to see a gynny and had a blood test done.  Got the results and it said grossesse on the report and so I looked the word up in what we considered a good dictionary...........and it said, to get bigger, but no mention of a baby.

So until I could see the doctor again, I really did not know if I was pregnant or I had something wrong with me which would make me bigger...... because there are illnesses that do!!!

Quite worrying at the time and not how we should have been greeting what was 'good' news, or as you put it, fatness of a sort[:-))][:-))][:-))]

Feel younger and fitter, not really, some clothes fit and some are now way too big.

Husband did not even notice the first 2 stones,he noticed well into the third stone.

I have to point out that I am not on a diet.

I have dieted successfully over the years and then put the weight on in less weeks than I took it off because of deprivation.

On the 1st of June I started eating everything I wanted, but only in small portions. So I have had everything I like, do not feel deprived and for all I am eating a little more now since I hit the 21kgs point, get full quickly and am respecting my stomach and over the last few weeks have been losing about 300grs a week. Doubt I will lose over christmas and the new year and that'll be fine.

But I don't want to lose any more weight as my skin is feeling loser.

Everyone is saying I am looking well, and I think I am.

Archived