Complete France Forum

What is intermediary French ?

"I did not try to hard to be fair on the first one.....it looked dead boring."

A major theme in L'Esquive  which was directed by the same Tunisien born director as La vie d'Adèle  is how a lack of mastery of an 'educated' level of language can trap young people and limit their opportunities.

There is a fascinating contrast between the elegant, mannered language of the Marivaux play they are rehearsing for their French class  (here is the link to the notes for the Bac http://www.bacdefrancais.net/amourethasard.php   )

and the street language into which they lapse in the arguments about who plays what and how.

I find that interesting especially in the context of this thread.

I think that if you have not mastered, computers, tablets, mobile phones, andriod, IOS, facebook, twitter, you tube and all the rest of it by the age of 8 then your opportunities in life are very much limited. I think those gifted in languages will soon just end up working in Lidl.

I had no desire to listen to the girl in the long dress, I may be a woman, but females who squark just do my head in and these days I just turn off. The others, ouais, I understood....... could I write it, this 'langue'age........ very  badly that is for sure.

I hope you are not talking about Amélie ...IDUN. Grrr.

We visited a house when we were house hunting (like you do) and would you believe, the person who visited the house just before us was Audrey Tautou !!! That is a true story. That was 15 ish years ago before she got famous.

I have seen a few stars over the years living in France. I once saw Mimie Mathy in Galeries Lafayette in Paris. Blimey can she walk fast for someone so small !!!! Really, it was quite spectacular.

Norman.....Mimie Mathy is an iconic French actress !!

Who is Galeries Lafayette?

ALBF, why do you have to play silly little boys' games; without this sad aspect of your character you could be a passable human poster?

And do leave Norman alone, he does tend to bite if he has not had his daily walkie. He does, by the way have a more than passing knowledge of things French. He is also curiously well educated.

Randy, yes, I remember her with affection.  She came to visit me once when I had the chateau and, just as you warned me, she was wearing her knickers on top of her head instead of ...well.... of the usual knicker-wearing part of the anatomy.

Archived