Complete France Forum

Cast Iron Skillet

Lori

Does anyone know where I can buy one?  I have looked all round and had no luck.  I can find iron skillets, but they all have either a wooden handle or something on them that would not allow stove-top to oven cooking.. I know they must have them here, but I am having no luck.

Any chance of an online purchase??

Thanks.

not a cocotte, but a poele (sorry don't know how to make the little cap on top of the e).  I have seen the cocottes all over, but never the skillet.  I have several recipes that call for a cast iron skillet (thats what we call them in the U.S.), but it needs to be a true cast iron skillet, in that it can be used on a stove-top or in an oven.

I did check the website you noted and thanks for that, but I didn't see what I'm looking for.  I did add the site to my favorites as it looked like a good one.

Moonraker - that certainly looks similar.  But, the website notes info. on products en fonte emaillee.  Is this true cast iron, or coated cast iron (as the name implies)?  That would make it different wouldn't it??

Did you buy the one with the wood handles?  Does it appear to be coated or ordinary cast iron?  The coating means you must start off cooking at slow temps.  I'm not sure, but I don't think it is exactly the same thing???

Liked the website though.  Saved it along with Christine's for anyone asking me what I want for Xmas.

[quote user="Lori"]

Moonraker - that certainly looks similar.  But, the website notes info. on products en fonte emaillee.  Is this true cast iron, or coated cast iron (as the name implies)?  That would make it different wouldn't it??

[/quote]

The Le Creuset ones are for use on oven or top. 

As they say:

Vive

la cuisine saine et rapide avec les grils Le Creuset.

Ils passent de la plaque au four ou au barbecue en un tour de

mains.

Existent en trois formats : rond, carré et rectangulaire.

Solid cast iron (fonte) - Le Creuset's speciality. 

Thanks Cassis.  I guess the new age skillets are slightly different, perhaps better.  I did see that Tarte Tatin one with Le Creuset.  Wonder why I never seem to see it in the shops I've been to..  It says it goes from stove to oven and it can take high temps, so I think it would work fine.

Thanks to you all.

Happy cooking.

Archived