Complete France Forum

Do you care where your food comes from ?

Frederick

I have never been hunting so have no experience of hunting foxes, From observation driving the roads of Dorset and Hampshire every day  when I am in the UK . I would say that the number of foxes has greatly increased in those counties....If the road kill count is anything to go by....I understand the feeling of the anti hunt people who fought on the grounds of foxes suffering to get foxhunting stopped ....but ...How many people bother to get out of their car when they feel the thump and know they have run over one to find it and check if its still alive or not.?. How many people would take the jack handle and bash one on the head to put it out of its misery when its back legs have been driven over? .Since hunting was stopped I think there must have been hundreds of foxes crawling away to die a painfull death that would have been dispatched very fast by the hunt and lots  more  will  continue dying that way.. I have hit pheasants  there are loads round my way but get out and wring their necks rather than leave them flapping in the road ....most people dont bother....and many of them would say they love animals ....

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote user="powerdesal"]Dog,

There is a saying ''You are what you eat''

I am a carnivore, therefore I am an animal.

You are a vegetarian therefore you are a vegetable.

I have always considered that animals are a higher life form than vegetables.........discuss.

There, that made me feel better [:)]

[/quote]

It's more interesting to discuss the fact that you like to mostly eat dead rotting things whereas we prefer to eat them alive!

[quote user="Frederick"]
I have never been hunting so have no experience of hunting foxes, From observation driving the roads of Dorset and Hampshire every day  when I am in the UK . I would say that the number of foxes has greatly increased in those counties....If the road kill count is anything to go by....I understand the feeling of the anti hunt people who fought on the grounds of foxes suffering to get fox hunting stopped ....but ...How many people bother to get out of their car when they feel the thump and know they have run over one to find it and check if its still alive or not.?. How many people would take the jack handle and bash one on the head to put it out of its misery when its back legs have been driven over? .Since hunting was stopped I think there must have been hundreds of foxes crawling away to die a painfull death that would have been dispatched very fast by the hunt and lots  more  will  continue dying that way.. I have hit pheasants  there are loads round my way but get out and wring their necks rather than leave them flapping in the road ....most people dont bother....and many of them would say they love animals ....
[/quote]

As the numbers of foxes did not increase when hunting was forbidden due to foot and mouth, why would they now? Foxes are territorial animals to a large extent will self regulate.

Killing, by hunting or any other means, just creates a vacancy......

[quote user="Dog"]

It's more interesting to discuss the fact that you like to mostly eat dead rotting things whereas we prefer to eat them alive!

[/quote]

So vegetables that have been pulled out of the ground, trimmed, washed, put into cold storage, then carted hafway across Europe to find their way onto our supermarket shelves count as being still alive? Or do you actualy crawl around the veg plot nibbling leaves off the still growing plants? And does that make you a rascally rabbit or a very hungry caterpillar?

[quote user="Dog"]

I have always considered that animals are a higher life form than vegetables.........discuss.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well,  I do prefer the very early stages of rot, but eating 'live' things.......I'm not really sure that I am into that. It just doesn't seem 'right ' somehow.

The problem that I have with vegetarians is.......They expect you (a carnivore) to make a special effort to accommodate their dietary requirements at (say) a dinner part but they are not prepared to reciprocate when they host a dinner party. It seems that they (vegetarians) want preferential treatment.

I have no problem with accepting the vagaries of those with 'misguided' dietary requirements but I do have a problem with evangelical, self-opinionated, insulting people who openly despise others for their viewpoint.. I have even been known to cater for the minority at various garden parties at Chateau Powerdesal.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well,  I do prefer the very early stages of rot, but eating 'live' things.......I'm not really sure that I am into that. It just doesn't seem 'right ' somehow.

The problem that I have with vegetarians is.......They expect you (a carnivore) to make a special effort to accommodate their dietary requirements at (say) a dinner part but they are not prepared to reciprocate when they host a dinner party. It seems that they (vegetarians) want preferential treatment.
I have no problem with accepting the vagaries of those with 'misguided' dietary requirements but I do have a problem with evangelical, self-opinionated, insulting people who openly despise others for their viewpoint.. I have even been known to cater for the minority at various garden parties at Chateau Powerdesal.
[/quote]

No problem if you want to fill your finely honed temple of a body with cancerous rotting flesh that's your perogative. I will not come to your barbecue and happily stay at home where I know I will be well fed in hygenic conditions.

I tell flesh eaters that they will not get boring old dead animals and they all come and enjoy.

Haven't you noticed that when both types of cuisine are on offer to help yourself the veggie stuff always goes first?

Why are meat eaters such sensitive wimps and have a chip on their weedy shoulders. Get real in a few years you will have to give meat up!

"your finely honed temple of a body" . You patronising queue sniffer, Dog, my temple is far too damaged to get any benefit from eating the kind of muck you are trying to stuff down our throats. I playes rugby, spied for my country, fought for a couple. And now I have the scars. What did you do except preach?

[quote user="Dog"]Why are meat eaters such sensitive wimps and have a chip on their weedy shoulders. Get real in a few years you will have to give meat up![/quote]

Oh take a bow!! I've never seen or heard meat eaters banging on & on & on & on trying to get people to eat meat. NEVER! But hellfire, there are some vegetariens that really can't let it go & bang on ad infinitum trying to convert the world, how tiresome & oh so boring. I think we're all able to make our own choices & don't need to be lectured by anyone, let alone someone so damn rude. You want people to listen, then change your tune & quit the nastiness. It looks very much like the chip, cooked in vegetable oil obviously, is stuck firmly on your shoulders Dog.

There, there, I do think we should not be too hard on Dog.  He feels passionately about something and is happy to put his head above the parapet.

Whilst I don't agree with him and whilst I don't agree with my own husband, I am willing to put up with their idiosyncracies.  Because they speak and act from their principles, I will go along with it.

Mind you, I get really, really cross when my OH says, I don't impose it on anyone else.  Because he imposes it on me as I am the chief cook and bottle washer in our house.

I do go through periods when I think it's all very well for you with your principles but it is me who has to get the food in and cook the two different meals.

There again, when I am in a good and expansive mood, I think oh well, let him be, there's room in the world for all sorts.

This is probably my last word on this subject so please do not tempt me into further argument because I just want some peace and quiet and have my own mind left to think its own thoughts!!!!!!!!!

Live and let live: all life's a compromise.

[quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

Actually rotten shark (hákarl) is quite nice...especially washed down with a glass of Black Death [;-)].  Tastes a bit like Danish Blue.

[quote user="Dog"]

Haven't you noticed that when both types of cuisine are on offer to help yourself the veggie stuff always goes first?

[/quote]

LOL not in our house!!  We have to force feed salad and vegetables to our lads!

You flesh eaters get it all your own way - even government subsidies and the Meat Marketing Agency to encourage you to eat death.

I am fed up as you even steal the back of the wine bottle it always says good with red meat & fish or such garbage. It nevers says superb with mushrooms and lentils.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

LOL not in our house!!  We have to force feed salad and vegetables to our lads!
[/quote]

The force feeding must be a pretty sight.

Have you ever considered you may not be cooking and presenting your non flesh food properly?

Send your kids to me for a week and they will come back and convert you - dead animal has texture perhaps but little flavour, vegetables and herbs rule the roost and are sustainable have better flavour and are healthier.

They must think you a kinky old buffalo.

[quote user="JayJay"]

[quote user="Dog"]Why are meat eaters such sensitive wimps and have a chip on their weedy shoulders. Get real in a few years you will have to give meat up![/quote]

Oh take a bow!! I've never seen or heard meat eaters banging on & on & on & on trying to get people to eat meat. NEVER! But hellfire, there are some vegetariens that really can't let it go & bang on ad infinitum trying to convert the world, how tiresome & oh so boring. I think we're all able to make our own choices & don't need to be lectured by anyone, let alone someone so damn rude. You want people to listen, then change your tune & quit the nastiness. It looks very much like the chip, cooked in vegetable oil obviously, is stuck firmly on your shoulders Dog.

[/quote]

You have obviously never heard of the Meat Marketing Board that spends public money trying to stuff sausages down the publics throat. They bang on and on.

I have never tried to convert any of these lost souls. You have made your choice and now are bitter about it. I am not lecturing you just digging at your insecurity.

Why is questioning someones beliefs seen as nastiness?

Some may say grow up you don't have the right to put down anyone that you don't agree with. It is incredibly boring.

Have I mined a great vein of insecurity?

[quote user="Dog"][quote user="JayJay"]

Oh take a bow!! I've never seen or heard meat eaters banging on & on & on & on trying to get people to eat meat. NEVER! But hellfire, there are some vegetarians that really can't let it go & bang on ad infinitum trying to convert the world, how tiresome & oh so boring. I think we're all able to make our own choices & don't need to be lectured by anyone, let alone someone so damn rude. You want people to listen, then change your tune & quit the nastiness. It looks very much like the chip, cooked in vegetable oil obviously, is stuck firmly on your shoulders Dog.

[/quote]

You have obviously never heard of the Meat Marketing Board that spends public money trying to stuff sausages down the publics throat. They bang on and on.

I have never tried to convert any of these lost souls. You have made your choice and now are bitter about it. I am not lecturing you just digging at your insecurity.

Why is questioning someones beliefs seen as nastiness?

Some may say grow up you don't have the right to put down anyone that you don't agree with. It is incredibly boring.

Have I mined a great vein of insecurity?

[/quote]

I don't understand that comment and some of the attitudes towards Dog here. Why would a meat eater give a damn, how can you compare? People like Dog care. Just take a look at some intensive farming practises and all of the cruelty involved in some of the meat trade, perhaps that is why people that don't eat meat would like to see others stop.

Many if not most meat eaters as proven on this thread really just don't care, full stop and some even worse. Some vegetarians feel very passionate and perhaps very upset about what happens to animals for your plate but of course if you don't care you would find someone like this a tad annoying I guess. Even so I am still surprised by some of the comments.[8-)]

[quote user="woolybanana"]"your finely honed temple of a body" . You patronising queue sniffer, Dog, my temple is far too damaged to get any benefit from eating the kind of muck you are trying to stuff down our throats. I playes rugby, spied for my country, fought for a couple. And now I have the scars. What did you do except preach?[/quote]

What on earth is a queue sniffer? Is it similar to a coffin sniffer?

I have plenty of scars but the Shakespearian talk of playes spied and fighting is too much for me.

Can I presume you went to Rugby School then became a double agent and worked for two regimes?

Do you want me to follow in your footsteps?

It is never too late to eat healthy food - you may even feel better!

I have never preached I find religion disturbing.

My mother in law told me about your off road excursions - it's  good to hear care in the community patients are getting out and about. I left UK when they banned use of green lanes. They are the only way to travel and discover the countryside.

Archived