Complete France Forum

Herbes de Provence

mint

Can people come on here and reveal what they use these herbs for?

I tend to use them where, back in the UK, I would use mixed herbs. 

What herbs are actually in this mixture?

Will be interested and grateful to have answers and, no doubt, will be learning something new!

I use them often, and your question prompted me to look on the label. It says......" sarriette,romarin, serpolet, marjolaine,origan, basilic, thym, en proportions variables." Sarriette is savory, serpolet is wild thyme.

If I'm making a dish of stewed vegetables I add a sprinkling; Also on something like grilled tomatoes on toast; And in stuffing for poultry.

I tend to overdo it, use the herbs too much. I just love the smell.

Rather like you, Sweet, I use them as I would mixed herbs in UK.

Best used by the handful when fresh, although dried is fine as well. A typical mix is bay leaf, thyme, fennel, rosemary, chervil, oregano, summer savory, tarragon and marjoram, sometimes with mint added. Orange zest is sometimes included, as is lavender, though it's thought that is added for the benefit of tourists who saw lavender fields as almost emblematic of Provençe. Traditional or not, the addition of lavender is often enjoyed.

We enjoy them with many foods; they're especially good mixed with olive oil to coat chicken, fish, tomatoes or chunks of potato for roasting, adding to pizza or sprinkled over game before roasting and meat or veggie stews. Also for seasoning salads, sauces, and soups and stews. We also add some to the coals of the BBQ when they are hot. One sniff and I'm back in the south!  [:D]

Nice picture and I also enjoyed the link you provided, Pacha.

Know what you mean, GG, about one sniff taking you back to le midi.  Pacha's link says the herbs are good for ensoleiller les plats...lovely expression.

Some soleil would be nice; it's been like winter here today.

I come from provence originally, and I use them in tomato sauce ( for example if you make your own sauce for pizza, pasta, ) ,

I use them on grilled pork chops, on grilled steak too, in different stews. ( ragouts), in the cuisine provençale, it is very much used.

and yes, ça ensoleille la cuisine...

''ensoleiller les plats'' is a lovely expression; I'm going to adopt it!

It's also been very cold here in SE UK. We arrived back on election night to brilliant sunshine, having driven for more than a day through pouring rain. It was down at 8 when we left the Gard, and has been bitter ever since, but dry. I need it to ensoleiller with a bit of chaleur!  [:D]

Archived