Complete France Forum

Go For It !!

Gardian

Friends were just over for a long weekend and we all went out for lunch on Sunday. The restaurant is our local favourite: a changing menu, good service, reasonable 'mid-range' prices.

One of the plat choices was Les Paquets d'Agneau de Marseille: I knew that it was offal, but wasn't sure precisely which type. I decided to go for it, partly out of bravado, partly because I'd never been disappointed with any dish I'd ever had there. To his credit, the waiter who took our order politely warned me that it was stuffed tripe and was I sure ...................?

It was really, really nice. A peppery minced stuffing (of who knows what?) with a soft tripe casing and a thickish tomato sauce. 

It was just something different: a real change from the normal fare. Veggies - you don't know what you're missing.[6]  So, if in doubt, go for it. Go tripe. 

I remember, a long time ago, during our travels through France mr bubbles ordered something tripe-ish too and a kind waiter gently suggested that it didn't normally appeal to the English palate.

This of course made him all the more determined to order it.

He didn't enjoy it at all I'm afraid but felt duty bound to clear his plate - Queen and Country and all that!

My OH was just the same with 'veritable andouillettes de Troyes'. The owner of the resaurant did lots of miming and gesturing of body parts, and I had explained the contents to him, but he went ahead. Everyone in the small restaurant was very interested. He ploughed on, but wasn't too happy with them. He was rather unwell later.

However, on the way back to UK last week they were on the menu at our usual overnight stop (I think it was a recommendation from you, Gardian - we stay there about 6 times a year). He decided that as he's enjoyed every meal he's had there, he'd try them again. He reckoned they were better than the first place, but he won't be trying them again! I never have ordered them and don't ever intend to. Nor anything called 'paquets' of any sort!   [:D]

[quote user="bubbles"]He didn't enjoy it at all I'm afraid but felt duty bound to clear his plate - Queen and Country and all that![/quote]

Sounds just like my sometime meat-eating OH back in 2005, when we were newly arrived in France, and he saw 'tête de veau' on the menu and had to try it ...

Sue [:)]

[quote user="gardengirl "]

I think it was a recommendation from you, Gardian    [:D]

[/quote]

Les Clos de Vignes at Castillon du Gard was the restaurant - just up the road from you.  Good place - better than (some of) the tourist dives in Uzes.

We haven't tried that one yet. We do eat at places away from home, but often eat in town, as it's a 5 minute walk, so no need to get the car out and we can both drink lots if we want to. We sometimes even lunch in Place aux Herbes on Saturdays, watching the market wind down!  [:D]

I seem to remember both you and lacot mentioning Val Moret, which we both like; we're staying there on the way south again next week.

Archived