Complete France Forum

Puff Pastry

Kylie

Coops, I know I can look it up. I just think that, especially with questions lie this, it's better to give a location. For example, Benjamin lives in Staffordshire, but my knowledge of the availability of square pastry in Leek would be of no use to him if he lives in Cannock.

Hoddy

[quote user="Hoddy"]Coops, I know I can look it up. I just think that, especially with questions lie this, it's better to give a location. For example, Benjamin lives in Staffordshire, but my knowledge of the availability of square pastry in Leek would be of no use to him if he lives in Cannock. Hoddy[/quote]No, Hoddy, I do understand.  It doesn't matter how easily one can look these things up really.  Personally, I struggle somewhat with the department numbers.  There are those I know well and others which are meaningless because they're parts of the world I just don't know at all. Not long after I joined the forum, somebody suggested that one used a more descriptive form when putting one's location into the  profile.  That's why mine gibbers on about the race - I thought it was quite a good idea to include a bit more info' about the location.

Good luck with the pastry hunt, Kylie.

I must be missing something here [8-)]

I know the ready rolled pastry is a labour saver but if you have to go searching aroud France to find the shape you want its isnt.

When I roll pastry and struggle to get the required shape I just patch it together roughly to the form I want and go over again with the roller.

Any reason why one cannot do this with pate feuilleté? I am sure that I have already done so.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I must be missing something here [8-)]

I know the ready rolled pastry is a labour saver but if you have to go searching aroud France to find the shape you want its isnt.

When I roll pastry and struggle to get the required shape I just patch it together roughly to the form I want and go over again with the roller.

Any reason why one cannot do this with pate feuilleté? I am sure that I have already done so.

[/quote]Cooking not being my thing, I didn't ask this question myself but I'm glad somebody did.  Is it because it doesn't rise properly if "cobbled together"?

Chancer most pastry doesn't react so well to being man handled and re rolled. Pate feuillete is a special way of making pastry. Those 'cakes' aren't called a thousand leaves for nothing.

It keeps getting rolled and folded in a certain way to keep all the 'leaves' going the same way. So it is hard to start messing on with it leading to it not rising as it should and then simply not being very good.

Most pastry needs a light touch, not only with the rubbing in and mixing, but with the rolling out too.

NB I sort of look like I ate all the pies, and I must say that they were very very good!

[quote user="idun"]Chancer most pastry doesn't react so well to being man handled and re rolled. Pate feuillete is a special way of making pastry. Those 'cakes' aren't called a thousand leaves for nothing. It keeps getting rolled and folded in a certain way to keep all the 'leaves' going the same way. So it is hard to start messing on with it leading to it not rising as it should and then simply not being very good. Most pastry needs a light touch, not only with the rubbing in and mixing, but with the rolling out too. NB I sort of look like I ate all the pies, and I must say that they were very very good![/quote]

I do have a strong feminine side though Idun! Mind you my hands are too hot!

I have made pate feuiletée from scratch,  I  always folded and rolled it at 90 degrees to the last operation as I was taught to avoid the leaves all going the same way.

I had problems for years rolling pastry, it always would end up with a hole in it, hence my knowledge of patching, eventually I realsied that my wooden roller, bought on the cheap of course, had a boss on it. The first job I did when I bought a metalworking lathe was to true it up.

[quote user="Hoddy"]Coops, I know I can look it up. I just think that, especially with questions lie this, it's better to give a location. For example, Benjamin lives in Staffordshire, but my knowledge of the availability of square pastry in Leek would be of no use to him if he lives in Cannock.

Hoddy[/quote]

Leek, Staffordshire...someone calling??

Mrs R51

Archived