Complete France Forum

Apricots

Hoddy

There are so many kinds of apricots available on the market at the moment. Does anyone know about all the different kinds ? I made a luscious crumble last week with the cheapest and palest but I would like to know a bit more about them.

Hoddy

In this area we get two main types, one larger, rather floury and with a uniform skin, the other smaller 'tighter' and darker with freckles/marks on the skin.

I much  smaller ones raw, as they have more acidity.

I can't put a name to either sadly.

Sorry I just go by the look and then give them a delicate squeeze, not squishy, just yield gently to the touch, don't like hard apricots.

Peaches I do know about, the white ones should always be sweeter than the yellow ones. Even the funny shaped donut looking white ones.

Ah the pêches plates, my favorites usually. Juicier and tastier than any other white peaches, usually. Not this year so far, though, somehow "they" are managing to make them tasteless.

As for apricots, our apricot tree has produced the best apricots I have ever tasted. Large (but not floury) and very intense apricot flavour, makes wonderful clafoutis and jam too. Sadly, only about 12 apricots this year, and none last year! I am told 2011 is not really an apricot year here, many people complaining, no idea if it is true.

I can never remember them showing which variety of apricots were for sale on my local markets or supermarkets. In fact thinking about it they would only mark 'melons' and where they came from (if that) and not what sort they were. Maybe everyone else but me knew, but I never did and still don't.

Where we are in the Gard, apricots are very plentiful and delicious. We've been keeping an eye on the trees as we've passed them on walks. I usually buy from a local producer, and up till about 10 days ago they were small-sized and yellow. Then she had some of those and others that were larger, yellowy-orange and red; she said those had a better flavour. This week she has only the latter - and they are really delicious. She told me the varieties, but I don't remember things too well - I ought to write info down more often!

I bought at €2 per kilo (there was well over a kilo in my bag), but saw them at stalls in the market at up to €4. This couple put up a stall at the edge of the flower market each Saturday, and disappear as soon as they've sold out, which is very soon!

It's interesting that 5-element mentions that the flat peaches aren't as tasty - I haven't seen many around yet this year.

Archived