Complete France Forum

'Don't touch me until I'm yours!'

idun

I had been going to buy some pears and reached to pick some up, but no, the stall holder pointed at their sign as mentioned in the title. I pulled my arm back and put some apples in a bag and bought them instead. I was allowed to pick the apples I wanted!

The pears looked so good, they were Williams, and should have just been ready to eat judging by the colour,  so sweet that that first bite would having juice running down my chin. Last time I bought some without the benefit of a gentle squeeze, they were hard and not ready to eat and so disappointing.

I think that the stall holder was unreasonable really. I know what I want from my fruit and veg and will buy if it is 'right', but not today, I couldn't tell.

Should we be able to touch our fruit and veg before buying? Surely we all wash it when we get it home anyway, that any germs should be washed away?

Some years ago, we were staying in Sardinia and, to our astonishment, all fruit and veg were "non touch".  This applied in shops as well as in the local fresh produce weekly market.

And, wouldn't you know, amongst every bag of fruit and veg that were bought, there were invariably one or two overripe or rotting ones.

They have their own reasons, I dare say![6] 

I'm another who likes to squeeze! Our local greengrocer is quite happy with that, as are the owners of the large stall which arrives each Saturday at the market. However, some of the small producers at the local producers' market on Wednesdays aren't happy with squeezing,  apart from the big bio stall. So I sometimes don't buy from those who don't allow it. Our producer of apricots is quite happy to have squeezing - and the fruit is super!

When I went to Rome with the girls we went up to Tivoli. We bought fresh fruit from a stall in the market, they washed each piece and handed it to us. We had to eat it all leant forward so that the stream of juice dripped from our chins and onto the pavement. We had all bought peaches and pears, so delicious and juicy. Never have I had such good fruit anywhere.

I suppose that is what I fancied today. I'm just going to mentally imagine that they were not good and were hard and I have saved my pennies.

I guess some squeezes damage the fruit and it cannot be sold.

Having said, that I'll give you the benefit of my experience:

I got caught out once, when a "don't touch" stall-holder filled a bag with peaches, brought it over to the scales, and finding it "under", topped it up with fruit from a nearby crate to make up the weight I had asked for.

It's only when I got home, some 40km later, that I found out all the fruit on the top was badly bruised... [:@][6]

Archived