Complete France Forum

wanting chocolate etc

idun

My only treat these days of my régime is a kebab (sans frites) once a fortnight from a guy at the arab market, whilst I never liked the really hot chilli sauces in the UK the ones in France are just sweet goo, no stronger than ketchup, they may have impressive sounding names like Samurai and the French may think that they are being adventurous and exotic when they eat them but in common with many ethnic foods  in France it is a watered down version created for the delicate Frech palate.

Then I discovered Harissa paste, absolute heaven on a kebab [:-))].

Can it be found in the supermarkets or is it going to be yet another worthless imitation made for the French market like the toxic waste coloured curry (not) powder?

I use harissa to make a sauce to accompany couscous. Lovely.

And chillis, when we got to France we had our first hot chilli olive oil dribbled onto pizza. In a good resto the chillis will have been marinating for a long long time in the olive oil. I never like pizza these days without this sauce on it.

Idun

Something like this?

Serves two.

1-2 tsp harissa paste, 1 tbsp olive oil, handful dried fruit and nuts (we use toasted flaked almonds and dried apricots (cut up)), 100 grm couscous, 400gm can chickpeas, rinsed and drained, 100ml hot chicken or lamb stock, handful torn mint leaves. Add lamb or chicken.

God I can taste it now.  [:D]

Chancer it is IMO 'hot' straight from the little tub or the paste. Not too expensive either. If it isn't hot enough for you just mix it with some dried cayenne pepper, that'll do it! but don't blame me if your lips go numb[;-)]

Benjamin,  my recipe isn't like that one, I make up a sort of veg stew heavy with spices especially cumin. Then we add whichever meat we want, chicken or lamb along with merguez. I made the grains up separately and then we put the grains on the plate, put the stew and meat on the plate and then some harissa sauce over that.

I've found my coucousiere now so I'll have to make a couscous. I like steaming my grains whilst the stew is cooking.

[quote user="Benjamin"]We've had a similar paste to harissa in Portugal called sambal but this may have originated in one of their former colonies.

[/quote]

Yes, had sambal in Malaysia and Indonesia and yes, could have been former colonies of Portugal and, if not colonies, had Portuguese influence.

Snice, though. I remember taking the kids to Cadbury World half a lifetime ago, and they gave us a chocolate drink with chilli. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Luckily, I am in the land of the 24 hour Tesco, so if all this chocolate talk leads where I think it's going to, I can pop out for supplies...

Please, please, please, Betty, at least tell us what you buy and what you are scoffing?

Got to have a bit of vicarious pleasure as I am in the land of the closed boulangerie, no corner shop, no 24 Tesco, no nothing...[:(]

Chilli and chocolate, a match made in heaven.

Adding a good quality cooking chocolate to a chilli con carne turns it into a dish fit for a king, it gives the sauce a velvety consistency and allows you to jump up a few gears on the heat factor without anyone burning their lips yet still getting the warm feeling of the endorphins afterwards, people will love it and I defy anyone to know what has been added unless you go overboard.

I tried to get the old owner of my neighbouring brasserie to add it to his dish but he wasnt convinced so I said just add it to my serving then and you will se how good it is, when it arrived on my table it was awfull, inedible, but of course I had to eat it, when I interrogated him he admitted that he had emptied the contents of the bottle of (not) chocolate sauce that he dribbles over the ice creams into my serving, dont try this at home!!!!!! [:P][:P]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Please, please, please, Betty, at least tell us what you buy and what you are scoffing?

Got to have a bit of vicarious pleasure as I am in the land of the closed boulangerie, no corner shop, no 24 Tesco, no nothing...[:(]

[/quote]

I've opted for a bag of Galaxy Counters...after I'd eaten the Maynards Wine Gums in the car on the way back. This is Not Good....

I have maynards wine gums every single day, or jelly babies to ring in the changes. I have one of every colour and that is it. Since I have been doing this, my nails are much better and I prefer eating them to a cube of jelly.

Hot&Black...a couple of Tunisian Cayenne Peppers at supper...followed by black chocolate.

But I always have a bottle of Marico SA molho piri piri available; found it first in South Africa where the Portuguese use it in chicken piripiri.

It is made from the african birds eye chili which is stronger than a cayenne pepper, the Mozambique variety given a rating of 175,000 on the Scoville Scale.

This is seriously hot but not in my opinion as hot as a little taste bud stimulator one finds in Bolivia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

Archived