Complete France Forum

Want to reduce your food bill? - go native!!!

Chancer

Rather like looking at the amount of cars and tradesman's vans in the car park to find the best value restaurant I have taken a somewhat unhealthy interest in the contents of my fellow shoppers trollies.

It has to be said that I restrict myself to the down market shops, the "hard discounters" on my rare forays into Intermarché etc I do see people with laden trollies and a bill which makes me shiver to the bone.

In Lidl, Aldi, Netto etc around here you get a different class of shopper, with a different budget and differnt values, it amazes me how many people seem to exist on a diet that is 90% alcohol, the worst example of this and the worse time to shop is at 6.30 pm, although sometimes if i am bored i will go just to see things kick off [6]

Anyway this afternoon I was really impressed with the purchases of the guy in front of me.

One bottle of red wine

4 cans of extra strong lager

One sliced loaf (presumably pain de mie)

Total bill 2€56 cts [:-))]

Who said the cost of living was expensive in France?!!!

[quote user="JK"]Bet he threw the bread away![/quote]

No he was going to make the toast sandwich ... which is all over the BBC online news today. Apparently it is cheap and filling and consists of a slice of toast, peppered and salted, between 2 slices of bread.

Sounds awful to me ... but what do I know ? [8-)] Apparently it costs about 7p.

Sue

Archived