Complete France Forum

Purple spuds

Val_2

Bought a kilo, cooked according to the times given, result = horrible,tasteless pappy things. They also stain your hands if you attempt to try and peel them, so after a couple I left the skins on. We tried them boiled but had to have lots of butter and salt to get any taste of anything and the leftovers were roasted next day.Again absolutely tasteless so if you are tempted, don't bother and go for normal white ones any day of the week.

I also wonder how they got them that deep purple colour because a couple were actually white in the centre, makes you wonder what they have been tampering with now! Sir Walter Raleigh must be turning in his grave.

I've seen black potatoes too, and I know that they are black all the way through, but they were dear, so I didn't try them. I'll stay away from the purple spuds!

I would love to have some original coloured carrots, I know that they are grown these days, but I have never seen them around here.

[quote user="andyh4"]They should be completely natural - there are several varieties of purple spud - but like you I have never found anything to commend them apart from an unusual colour.  Same to be said for expensive purple crisps.[/quote]

Goodness - the purple crisps I have are beetroot and very nice they are too....

[quote user="Val_2"]

I also wonder how they got them that deep purple colour because a couple were actually white in the centre, makes you wonder what they have been tampering with now! .........................

[/quote]

It's more likely that "they" have tampered with them to make them mostly white

http://www.flickr.com/photos/usc-canada/5661482603/

RH - Beetroot crisps are indeed very nice - but I would have called them more puce coloured than violet.  Violet potato crisps are just coloured salty crisps.

Idun - original carrots (I assume you mean violet ones) - you could grow your own.  Seed is available from Graines Baumaux, so I would also expect some UK seed producers to have them.  Very sweet flavour, to the point that they might take a little getting used to.

Me grow something? [:D] in fact that shouldn't just be a big smile, it should be a hearty laugh.

Plants and me don't get along. I'll have to chat up a friend of ours and see if he'll give them a go. Mind you I've tried to get him to grow romanescous and that has been a disaster so far. And yet he grows everything else beautifully.

I'd heard that these carrots are sweet, but I quite like my veg being sweetish. I like parsnips and sweet potatoes and sweet carrots already.

Archived