Complete France Forum

Christmas Dinner

NormanH

Will you be having the Anthony Peregrine version

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/foodandwineholidays/8975003/Christmas-lunch-the-French-way.html ?

He seems to have forgotten to mention that most people have this on the evening of the 24th...

His menu

Menu

Oysters

Foie gras

Capon with truffles

Cheese

Chocolate

has left out the bûche as well...

I will be having my usual tin of Lidl ravioli, (this year followed by an apple to push it though the system)  but for the more fortunate among you,

Bon Appetit.

Norman, I shall think of you when we are eating our sandwiches whilst out walking the dog.

There was one year when we took our sandwiches to walk in the Afan valley near Port Talbot in South Wales on Christmas Day.  It started to snow and the light amongst the trees was utterly enchanting; ethereal and beautiful.  The dog was in her seventh heaven.

Then, as we descended from the heights to return to the car park, we saw just such another mad couple as ourselves.  And they, too, were having a picnic in the freezing cold with their dogs.

Some of us really, really love our alternative Christmas, don't we?

If I was on my own at christmas, I'd have a sandwich too, but at some point over the fetes I would have some treats too.

As it is we are doing a traditional english xmas with my old Dad and a friend of his who finds herself alone this year. For the revillon, I have a few treats in the fridge though.

Christmas is a difficult and haunting time for some, and for me it is the perfect excuse to celebrate life with the family, especially the grandchildren. This year it's son's outlaw's turn and I have no idea what we'll be eating except that I've been asked to top and tail it, so for starters we'll be having  dead-good-blinis and for after I've made  champagne-charlie icecream if there was nothing else it's fine on its own. Have a good one whatever yours is . . . [:)]

• 5 years later...