Complete France Forum

Kindle / ebook reader alternative lazy guide

just john

With ebooks booming how much do you know about them?, personally though I read the tech press, they come and go;
 I'm still happy with laptop and i-phone, here's a few options, random reviews and prices, as much and as little as you like but by no means conclusive, feel free to add to the list.

iphone / iPod reader included.

http://hi-techreview.info/2010/11/18/new-view-quest-bookbox/  asda. -Quest-5in-eBook-Reader - £52

Pandigital-Novel-colour-ereader full color touchscreen access to more than half a million free books £140ish

Sony eReader 505 - Dixons - Gatwick £169

Sony eReader  PRS-650BC    purelygadgets Sony-eReader-Touch-Edition-PRS-650 - £197

BeBook Neo BeBook Neo its WiFi connection  6" or the 5" BeBook Mini   pixmania.£221

Alex eReader color LCD screen allows for multimedia features such as music, Wi-Fi and the ability to watch movies.

Sony Reader Daily Edition  sony-reader-PRS-950sc-  large touchscreen and long battery life. built-in 3G capabilities.

ereader-reviews/kobo-ereader quilted back comfortable, basic and not the bells and whistles found in most eReaders.

Samsung Tab  .telegraph. Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-price-guide

iRex iLiad Review  cnet.co.uk/ebook-readers/irex-iliad-review-£433

Which - the consumer association have done a report and the Sony Prs 650 and 350 came out top but they still have the disadvantage of books needing to be dowloaded via the computer.

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/computing/reviews/ebook-readers/

You may not be able to view if you are not a member

Basically what it says about Kindle and epub is that as as Amazon cover such a wide range of books  its not a deal breaker.

I have in the past, but only when holed up at an airport, ferry or similar situation, (including quite a lot of time while waiting around at Hospitals where they didn't want the laptop and presumably anything with WiFi on) when not able to get at one of the several books I usually have in luggage, I have not noticed the problem of eye strain because those situations are usually well lit, (incidentally not unusually surrounded by folks on laptops surfing or catching up on mail etc, same difference.
By the time I get to read, feet up somewhere its rarely 2 hrs and then I have the book I'm going through at the time, Currently between a reread of an old copy of Clochmerle a new The Desert War by George Forty, and Mr Big Healey by Norman Burr & Simon Taylor (I'm on p45); none of which are on Kindle by the way) on laptop Kindle Mrs Beetons Book of household management.

Might I ask the same question of you?, not having a dig either[:)]

I can't read large blocks of text from the computer for long periods.  Even the newspapers I give up on after I've read a couple of articles each morning as I find them tough to read for too long. I normally therefore read books at home and don't buy newspapers except very rarely and when I go home I treat myself to "hard copies" of the Observer and the Gruaniad.

I was not in favour of the e-book idea at all and felt the same way as you but now that I find getting around such a bore (I can't walk and carry things except using a rucksack) and most of my books are upstairs where I can't go without great difficulty, I thought I'd give Kindle a try.  I reckoned it would also save me from packing my rucksack full of books when I travelled, leaving less room for other stuff - bearing in mind particularly that other people have to lift it on and off the train etc for me. 

Yesterday, having dowloaded 100 or so classic novels to my new Kindle, I then sat down to read Wuthering Heights  and was very pleased to find that I read for a couple of hours effortlessly and without the noticable eyestrain so for my money, it does have an advantage over the pc.  I don't have an i-phone because it's a pointless expense for me as I use a mobile only in emergencies, (my annual bill is about 5€ worth of calls!) and thus it's an over-priced luxury in my case.   I did think about an i-Pad and rejected it on the grounds that my netbook already did most of what I wanted and thus adding a Kindle to the mix was a better value option.

I'm irked by supplier failures, poor support (and in Amazons case fudging copyright issues) and so where this happens to me I would want full refund and subsequently purchase elsewhere on a matter of principle. I also understand that some people have quite a few things on their plate and it's unfortunate when having committed to something to make life more pleasant, they find they are obliged to go that extra bit to resolve the situation. [:(]
I'm looking forward to the possibility of the full wall graphic vision from Microsoft[:D] (I know I've read this in a novel was it Brave new world predicted this, Aldous Huxley?) Imagine finally zapping your thing at a wall and seeing the text and graphics up there[:D]!

I don't remember Huxley mentioning Microsoft![:-))]

At the risk of repeating myself, I was agin' the thing until somebody (I forget her name off the top of my head but suffice it to say an intelligent woman whose opinions I respect) on the Review Show said how marvelous it was to have 1000 or more books in one tiny package.  She didn't say what make hers was so this wasn't a Kindle advert but I was impressed by what she said and others on here tipped the balance somewhat.  I was prepared for the fact that I might not be able to download from the UK site as this was made perfectly clear by Amazon.  As said elsewhere, I am not sure this is an Amazon "fudge" - it seems to be France exclusive - go figure.  I can still use .com whatever happens and can download other types of files and convert them, nothing is impossible.  But hardware wise I do like what I've bought.  Besides, it's done now.  I bought an i-pod on the recommendation of several other satisfied customers but now that I've had to do battle with I-Tunes, I would never have another Apple product, but I'm stuck with it so I make the best of it.  Ditto the Kindle.

Yes, there are problems with all these things but when I remember my months in hospital and the frustration of having to ask people to bring me books or to wait while they came through the post, it's good to know I'm not stuck for reading material any more.  Just as all the CDs I've ever owned are now on my i-pod.  But neither stops me reading print books or putting an album on the turntable or a CD in the player.  Technology can live side by side with traditional stuff and why not?

John I think you are being rather unfair to Amazon, its exceptionally unfortunate that Cathy has had a bad experience but both Garden Girl and I have found their customer service very good, GG on kindle related matters and me on other stuff.

Its hard to understand how Amazon have had to make an agreement  re publishing/copyright and other companies have not, but do you honestly imagine that Amazon enjoy not being able to sell to all and sundry ? It seems unlikely.....

BTW The Kindle is third in the Which review, it is well reviewed for ease of reading, downloading etc, those that have it seem pretty happy with it (by the way, the 'Nook' isn't mentioned [;-)][;-)] )

[quote user="cooperlola"] I don't remember Huxley mentioning Microsoft![:-))] [/quote]

No I don't think he did predict them, but did he not predict full wall graphic entertainment? haven't read it for a few decades![:D]

[quote user="cooperlola"] Technology can live side by side with traditional stuff and why not? [/quote]

Indeed, when it works, but if you can't buy Brave New World to read on it how could you reread it?[Www]

(£3,23 Kindle / 0.46p on Amazon [plus £2.80 P&P damn!])

[quote user="Russethouse"] unfair to Amazon, [/quote]

Unintentional, but in the interest of balance surely show the weaknesses and the alternatives?

[quote user="Russethouse"] Its hard to understand how Amazon have had to make an agreement  re publishing/copyright  [/quote]

Choice? or perhaps - 'Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity'

[quote user="Russethouse"]   (by the way, the 'Nook' isn't mentioned [;-)][;-)] )[/quote]

Well in fairness then here it is, New-kindle-3-vs-Nook-and-the-winner-is . .

If I were having problems, which I am not, I could download from .com.  5.17$ but I confess I have no idea what the exchange rates look like these days.  But I did it for A level so that killed it for me.[:D]

I remember having this sort of conversation with the advent of DVD - nobody was going to invest because all their VHS stuff would be redundant, iirc...  CDs would never come close to vinyl.  I bet the odd travelling ballad singer thought books wouldn't last.[:)]

As I said elsewhere, if even one person reads one more book then it's a good thing.

[quote user="Russethouse"]£3.21 Coops[/quote]Well, that's it then.  Apart from the US spelling, .com appears to be fine as an alternative.  This is the only way in which Amazon has given a problem and it doesn't seem to be much of one after all, does it?  But as I say, it's not an issue now, I've got the Kindle and that's it![:P]

[quote user="cooperlola"] I could download from .com.  5.17$   But I did it for A level so that killed it for me.[:D] [/quote]

£3.21 or e3.77; if it wasn't AH Brave New World who was it?

[quote user="cooperlola"]  I remember having this sort of conversation with the advent of DVD - nobody was going to invest because all their VHS stuff would be redundant, iirc...  CDs would never come close to vinyl.   [/quote]

Just turned off the PURE Sciricco 150 dock playing the ipod, so that I could put the vinyl Eagles hits on the easylife deck[8-|]

[quote user="cooperlola"]  As I said elsewhere, if even one person reads one more book then it's a good thing. [/quote]

No worries there with t'internet and e-books technology (bigger spread of books than any device)
(to my chagrin as a former printer.)

One to watch and wait for, a coming together in a new touchpad incorporating a reader, phone, camera, in a book sized format.

HP Touchpad: Display: 9.7-inch 1024x768 LED Weight: 1.5lb Operating System: webOS 3.0; Browser: Web; Flash support: Yes, Ebooks: Yes, Apps: HP Palm, Multitasking: Yes, Camera: 1.3 megapixel front camera, Input/Output: Unknown, Processor: 1.2GHz dual-core Snapdragon, Storage: 16, 32GB, RAM: Unknown, Wireless: Wi-Fi, 3G later in the year, Battery life: Unknown, Price: Unknown, but will be 'competitive'.

Quite a few I imagine, me for one, at the moment apart from carrying a phone, I have carrycase for laptop, camera, and all the charging paraphenalia etc, especially when travelling, if all this can be combined into a single booksize package, what a boon to have it all together.

I guess the devil is in the detail, the interest to many will be a single piece of hardware all encompassing, any bit can easily be upgraded and HP are not a backward company, while perhaps not good enough for Elle Macpherson, but FB, skype, e-bay etc must have been considered? so I guess it's about price, which can only mean very VERY competitive.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

It will be interesting to see if anybody can reproduce the "ink" effect of the Kindle and others like it on a multi-tasking device. 

I'm not sure who would want one of these things to be a camera?  I guess the same people who take pictures with their telephones?

[/quote]

It is for Skype MSN and such like; if you have more megapixels the image will stutter and freeze. You remember Skype on dial up at 56K.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I can't even cope with my little Lumix after an SLR and find it so disappointing - I am lost without a proper viewfinder! [/quote]

Cannon Power Shot has a viewfinder, and although not 100% accurate for framing purposes is invaluable when the sun is shining and you can't see the screen on the back.

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]I can't even cope with my little Lumix after an SLR and find it so disappointing - I am lost without a proper viewfinder! [/quote]

Cannon Power Shot has a viewfinder, and although not 100% accurate for framing purposes is invaluable when the sun is shining and you can't see the screen on the back.

[/quote]However, you lose the field of view as a result.  I chose the Lumix for the wider angle (because I tend to use my pocket camera for buildings and tourist-y stuff rather than serious motor sport etc for which the SLR is essential) in favour of the viewfinder and on balance I regret it now.  However, I'm not going to buy another as it's good money after bad for me.  If I have any more money to spend on photographic kit I'd be more likely to buy myself another lens.[:)]

I agree with coops. I hate taking pictures with an lcd display. Through the lens is best.

I have a camera on my phone that does a job for point and click stuff, I really don't see the point in putting one on an ebook reader.

If they keep going that way, sooner or later there's going to be little difference between ebook reader and any other tablet style computer.

Archived