Complete France Forum

Nature's beauty

Frenchie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Beautiful shot Frenchie.  Makes me homesick as I was brought up just a bit further down the lake.  I think this is towards Ambleside but not sure?  At this time of year all the mountains surrounding the lake will have a dusting of snow or more - wonderful.  When were you there?

Hello Virginia   , yes , this is on the way to Ambleside ..  I understand it makes you feel a bit homesick, this is just sooo beautiful there ..

We were there very recently ,on the 30th /31st dec 2007, and as you can see there was no snow yet, now there is I ve heard.

Just for you then, Ullswater..

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/Ullswater2.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

[I thought it looked silver[:)]

Beautiful photo Frenchie - looks like you had a wonderful sejour.  Nice to see you back!

[/quote]

Thanks Twinkle; nice to talk to you too and bonne année !!

I also thought it looked silver ..    I wanted to entitle it  " Swan gliding over silver lake" .. [;-)] 

[kiss]

Nice picture Frenchie.  A touch greyish/silvery/mercurial I thought.

It looks similar to the weather we had for a camping holiday one August in the 1970s.  It finished me for camping for ever.  Nice cake in Kendal though.

The swan has a slight list to port, and do you know, I have never heard of anyone having their arm broken by one of those birds, have you?

Weedon - please tell me what is that in your avatar? Could be Tweedledum or Tweedledee. Frenchie - those pictures bring back so many memories. Some bad such as the time it rained for 10 days nonstop, and we had to go home. Some good such as a boatride down Ullswater on a beautiful day. Our holidays were always in the Lakes for years, then changed to Scotland.

When I'm in the lakes or the Yorkshire dales I don't really expect blazing sunshine,  as I would if I were in the canaries ...

I have the feeling the scenery matches the grey silvery romantic weather ..

Maybe I'm the only one to have this feeling then .....

My partner and I thought " How good it would be to live here " when we were there last week .......  ( I'm French, he's English ..)

Being as you are back with us Frenchie I assume that your driving was OK??[:D]

Lovely photo of Windermere. Part of my first honeymoon was spent near there. My favorite place has got to be Waste Dale and the pub at the Head!! I have even stayed at a temperance hotel there, The Screes. The top shelf behind the bar boasts of 100 single malts and if you can manage the top shelf, a shot from each in an evening, then they are free. So is the coffin I should think?

Hi Christine , it wasn't cold at all that day, just overcast, and the picture was taken at about 4 , night falling at 4.30 in the UK at the moment..

I like the silver water, and the majesty of the swan..

That trip to the Lakes was wonderful.

Here you are Christine, and there ll be more to come ..

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/Windermere2.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...

Christine, I, too, have spent a bit of time on the Thames.  My OH's son (I'm too young to be his stepmother, ha! ha!) lived in Chiswick with a garden that backed onto the river.  On a Sunday morning like today, we would be wakened up by shouts from the river as the rowers got out early for their training.

Unfortunately for me, he moved to the country last summer.  I mean, how inconsiderate can people be!  I can't be as excited about visiting acres of countryside in Surrey when I have vast swathes of it here on my doorstep in France.

Next visit, I will have to be content with visiting a pub or two along the river.  The other thing I really like to do is to have a drink on the top of the Tate Modern building and watch the river from there.

S17 if you are going to pubs along the Thames then a good bet is to get out of the rat race of the London end and get above Oxford. The Trout at Tadpole Bridge is one of my favorites, between Bampton Castle and Kingston Bagpipes (or is that Bagpoise?). Up until about 20 years ago they didn't have mains electricity, only gas lighting, freezers, fridges, etc. What a wonderful place. 50 pence a night to camp by the river on the pub grounds and VERY good beer to boot!! No need to wash in the morning, just out of the tent and into the river.

Happy daze...

Weedon asked about swans breaking someone's arm?

My dad walks his great dane on the towpath not far from Hampton Court where there is a very large swan population.  He sees these birds every day and knows which ones are friendlier than the others, so when one of his favourites seemed to be struggling on the bank he felt he had to help her as it appeared she was caught up in fishing line.

The bird was struggling a bit as he caught her, then WHACK.  Dad copped it from an old lady's umbrella when she  assumed he was hurting the swan rather than helping it !!!   [:'(]

All well that ends well.  On realising her mistake the old lady helped Dad untangle the swan and then they released her bird back to her friends, yet when anyone warns of avoiding the birds because of their wings Dad reckons its the Old Birds who are far more dangerous!!  Particularly the ones wielding umbrellas...............

Archived