Complete France Forum

Women on this forum.

Chris Head

I object to you calling Dick a women Catalpa, he's hairy and very definately a male...and he's responsible for my many bannings (I assume that's who you're referring to?). You are simply consumed with jealousy because you wenches can't contribute in this section on an equal or even superior level! Talk to us about joinery and wood my lovelies[:D]

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luckily for me, Mrs G studied what was then termed Domestic Science and, assisted by her mother, became a fantastic cook: we now both cook and number one son is approaching amateur "Chef" level.

I am glad Mrs G didn't become a cabinet maker, 'cos I can't eat cabinets!

All that said, she will tackle most building projects with me and we work well together: one Summer some years ago, she even tackled a paving slab shed base and hardstanding, using dry mix. Once I had explained the hows and whys off she went: why did she do it? Because she had some spare time, loves being outside and wanted the sheer challenge of doing it!

Very shortly I am going to sit down and enjoy a chicken curry, about madras level, all made the traditional way with the sauce based made yesterday from onions, garlic and root ginger, plus Bhindi Bargy, Onion Bargys etc. (We all cook curry and Thai curry and pride ourselves on their authenticity).

Actually, I think girls studying carpentry, engineering, welding, building trades etc and their subsequent families living on ready meals and take-aways is a retrograde step, socially.

I am NOT anti-female; quite the reverse, in fact, just perhaps too old fashioned.

Years ago in the paddock at Brands Hatch, we were alongside a charming and very attractive blonde lady, who just happened to be obviously pregnant and were horrified to see her climbing under an MG Midget and screwing and banging and screwing up nuts with a socket set and asked if we could help!

It transpired that her husband was in the championship ( as were we with our three Midgets) and was also in the RAF and was as we spoke, rushing back to drive the car! Apparently, she was prepping the car putting it on the trailer and towing it all round the UK to the various meetings for him!

Lovely lady and very impressive.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Actually, I think girls studying carpentry, engineering, welding, building trades etc and their subsequent families living on ready meals and take-aways is a retrograde step, socially.

.[/quote]

Oh Gluey. Would it be OK if women were 'just' Nurses or Teachers or Librarians, and their families (including men, who are capable of making a meal too) were 'living on ready meals?

You sure are old fashioned.[:D]

[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Gluestick"]

.[/quote]

Oh Gluey. Would it be OK if women were 'just' Nurses or Teachers or Librarians, and their families (including men, who are capable of making a meal too) were 'living on ready meals?

[/quote]

Where does personal self-fulfilment come into your weltanschauung? Or don't all people have a right to it?

Old-fashioned hardly describes it.

About five years ago, while trying to get to France by coach, I was marooned outside the Home Office with some fellow travellers. We chatted as one does to pass the time. The oldest woman there had been a Spitfire mechanic during the war She really wanted to be a radio operator, but her hearing wasn't good enough. You should try to get into the 20th century at least Chris.

Hoddy

The last time I had the misfortune to have to call the AA out, it was to fix the fan belt on my Mini. The AA man couldn't manage it, so I waited till he'd gone and did it myself. Personally, I find woodwork tedious but I can reasonably competently tinker with car engines, use most power tools (and non-power tools) and work a 48-hour week whilst managing to knock up an evening meal without resorting to ready meals. Oddly, though, I've never seen myself as special, unusual or in any way specially talented. It's what most women seem to manage to do - isn't it?

I thought we were in the 21st century?

We are - just trying to drag you along Chris. I was writing about the 20th.

Get Sarah's birthday right though - we may be able to do anything, but we don't like our birthdays ignored/forgotten.

Hoddy

We are - just trying to drag you along Chris

Into what? I don't understand. Skype? Chelsea tractors? Plasma TV? Multiple credit cards and massive debt? Nike trainers? Jamie Oliver recipes? Think I'll stick with the simple life we have thanx.

I'm going to carve a zip.[:)]

[quote user="Chris Head"]

My dear girls/ladies/wenches.

Do you all realise that most of the reason than us menfolk work wood is through the constant 'requests' of our ladyfolk? Do you honestly think we'd be making shelves, cabinets and coffee tables if it were up to us blokes?

So we have a small place where we can gather and talk about boring stuff, our sanctuary from the nagging...and what happens? We get followed by the instigators of our leisure time toils and distracted...once more!

I would propose two things,

a) The fairer sex be banned from this section, unless they are a woodworker.

b) You have your own womens only section!

OK?[:D]   [/quote]

[quote user="Chris Head"]Hey Hoddy, I'm probably the least sexist/racist/homophobic chap you'll ever meet...well if ever we meet! [/quote]

I thought we could perhaps move these two to another section where we could hold the first Living France "Spot the Anomaly" competition.[:D]

Betty, I don't have a pub to go to anymore. I want to bullsh1te with my mates and talk the sort of stuff you wenches talk about incessently without being invaded by our womenfolk! Stop being such a clever internetwench and go and do some housework![:D]

X

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Tresco"][quote user="Gluestick"]

.[/quote]

[/quote]

Not ignoring you Tres: been away since Feb 11th (back for a bit and than away again).

My overriding concern is to avoid the fairer sex becoming like American female steel erectors and welders!

Not much wrong with female engineers: everything wrong with females who are trying -in vain - to compete with their male counterpart and wear short hair, trousers and tattoos: and call everyone "babe".

No probs Gluey. I know you wouldn't ignore me.[;-)][quote user="Gluestick"] ...everything wrong with females who are trying -in vain - to compete with their male counterpart and wear short hair, trousers and tattoos: and call everyone "babe".[/quote]

You've got me bang to rights on the short hair and trousers, but I promise you my hair isn't as short as my husbands, and my jeans sometimes have girly details/finishing too.

Still, I was right, you really are old fashioned.[:-))]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Not ignoring you Tres: been away since Feb 11th (back for a bit and than away again).

My overriding concern is to avoid the fairer sex becoming like American female steel erectors and welders!

Not much wrong with female engineers: everything wrong with females who are trying -in vain - to compete with their male counterpart and wear short hair, trousers and tattoos: and call everyone "babe".

[/quote]

It was well worth the wait though Gluestick!! [:D]

What about beer drinking?? Is that OK?? [B] (Edit.....ladies that is!)

I suppose I am marginally biased by a rather awful experience a few years ago....................................

One of the chaps who used to drink in our local -  a country inn of wondrous ambience -  became divorced and quietly married his business partner's divorced daughter: and adopted her two kids. All OK so far.

Some years later - after they had added one of their own to the brood -  they were also divorced. Each to his/her own. Let's call this "Lady" Ms X.

Even more years later a dear friend passed away: she had been working as catering manager of a local theatre, meeting place, eatery etc, a most talented cook.

Before her funeral, her partner, another chum and in fact client, told Mrs G and I how kind a fellow worker of his deceased partner had been: and her "partner": later he added how these two persons were both female.

At the wake, the fellow worker and her "partner" were introduced: the partner was none other than Ms X: however, she had lost much weight, had added multitudinous tattoos, muscles and body piercing, had her skull almost shaved, wore leather trousers and jacket and swaggered around calling everyone "Babe", in a false adopted gruff voice!

Thus from a multiple mum and twice married woman, suddenly this person had "realised" she was, ergh different.

Yeah right on. Babe.

As a very much hetrosexual, female loving bloke, I'll take my ladies dressed in satins, silk and lace, smelling of the wondrous products of Grasse, and leave the somewhat strange muscle bound welders to others of an obviously more contemporaneous and apparently discerning mien!

Archived