Complete France Forum

Barn doors debacle.

Chris Head

All went well until the client decided he was going to get involved in the finishing and hanging.

Ok you lasure them I said....mistake.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01295.jpg[/IMG]

The closing strip and the rear of the doors give an idea of the contrast, the colour is just awful.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01298.jpg[/IMG]

The hinges should have been painted before the doors were hung....the bolt heads should have been on the outside, etc. Lesson learned on this one, either I control the whole process or it's no deal next time.

Yeah Moggy, I'm gutted, you hit the nail on the head.[:D] Still, it's them who has to look at the doors.

There just isn't any crime here Gary, so I guess the bolts being the wrong way round isn't too serious, although it does ruin the look of the doors....imagine those doors in Scouseland!

Nice looking doors Chris, but I didn't know that you were into pine... You may even fing that he had decided that there would be enough nuts on the inside, so put the mechanical ones outside [8-)]?

You may well find that it's necessary to have the stop strip totally different so that he could find where to get in?

What also cries out to me is that the hinges are not bolted through the frame of the doors but instead through the vertical boards.

I am assuming that he bought the hinges and that you didn't supply these Chris?

Why not pin on a business card saying "I only made them!"

Client supplied the timber John, he didn't want to pay the additional 200 euro for Oak planks, for doors that will be there for a lifetime.

JR, the hinges were existing hinges, we took the old doors down and put the new ones up, they should have been painted before hanging the new doors, but client knew best. He'd bought bolts that were the correct diameter but had a square shaft....'no problem' I said, we'll just drill out the hinges....'no, we'll do it this way' he said. The doors had been sized to have the closing strip halved into each one, 'I don't want that, I want this' fair enough. By now I've gathered the chap is a bit of a plonker, I won't be working for him again.

'Homing barn doors Phil? Ya lost me me old saus'!

Might be a touch dodgy Chris if the punter supplied the wood? And difficult for you to take your work out of it. Best thing is to take the money, deny that you had anything to do with them and write it off as a bad experience, then find a quiet corner and swear yer heart out!!! Nuts on the outside, wot a pillock, someone might pinch them [8-)]!

Archived