Complete France Forum

Transporting a car bumper to France

mint

Thanks to the encouragement of Forum folk, instead of dumping my damaged car, I am buying a new car bumper from the UK and am now looking for recommendations for a good courier to bring it over.

Has anyone any experience of using a courier service?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Thanks to the encouragement of Forum folk, instead of dumping my damaged car, I am buying a new car bumper from the UK and am now looking for recommendations for a good courier to bring it over.

Has anyone any experience of using a courier service?

[/quote]

Sweet, you weren't REALLY going to dump a car just because of a damaged bumper were you ????

Thats as bad as selling because the ash tray is full.

Teapot, I'm having to buy the bumper from somewhere, not sure yet where.

Anyway, the bumper, I am reliably told by a MAN (so the info must be right) is as follows:

1600 long

0.600 wide

0.500 high

5kg weight

Don't be too concerned, Teapot, I don't really expect you to carry such a large item.  I will find the bumper and get it shipped.  It's not as simple to get the bumper as you'd think.  Most of the "spares" sites seem only to deal with UK customers and even many of the courrier services want you to be at the address you're shipping from............crazy or what? 

Regrettably due to political pressure by the French motor industry it is illegal to sell pattern parts of car bodywork including bumpers, even for imported vehicles.

They claim they are safety critical parts despite crash tests showing no measurable difference, as a consequence the retail price of these parts are astronomical in France and the insurance companies are battling against this, we are all paying for this through our premiums and many repairable cars (like damaged bumpers) are being unnecessarily written off as uneconomic repair.

Anyway, and more to the point for Sweet17 the upshot of this is that just over the border in Belgium there is a thriving industry of motor factors etc selling pattern parts to French motorists who make the journey from all 6 corners of  L'hexagone, there are also many competitive body repair shops alongside to fit the wings bumpers etc bought.

Given the difficulties that you are finding you might find it better to look over the border, can the car be driven?

Can't be driven, JR, because I have done something to the system that contains the fluid for the power assisted steering.

I can drive it about 5 miles before all the hydraulic fluid leaks away and the wheel is too stiff to turn!

This is a sort of "look at what a clever girl I am" post!

No, NOT clever to have argued with a door that was obviously not going to move and causing thousands of euros worth of damage to the door not to mention awful damage to my poor car...............

But, sufficiently in possession of my senses to have rung the head office of Hyundai in the UK, got the number of their biggest dealer in London, got a price for the bumper, got a price for the courrier and then rung a Hyundai Concessionaire in my departement to find that it will be worthwhile buying it in France.

Not only that, after I protested about having to drive over an hour to the garage to pay for the bumper, they now tell me I could send them a cheque and they'd get the bumper in for me and send it to the nearest garage to my home.  It's still over an hour's drive but I could take a picnic, the OH, the dog (if it's not too hot) and still get my bumper............er..........I know, it's called a "pare choc" en français!

And I just made enough space too, unbolted the back seat left side forced the pasenger to travel in the back all the way behind the driver, moved the front seat forward.

Actaully that's a lie [;-)]

Well done Sweets, Hyundai a go go soon as Mme Poivre would probably say [Www] 

[quote user="teapot"]

And I just made enough space too, unbolted the back seat left side forced the pasenger to travel in the back all the way behind the driver, moved the front seat forward.

Actaully that's a lie [;-)]

Well done Sweets, Hyundai a go go soon as Mme Poivre would probably say [Www] 

[/quote]

Well done Sweet 17[:)]

Tea pot, don't you have one of those ski slots in your car, wouldn't that have been an easier option?[:)]

Oh, Teapot and Cendrillon, you have no idea how thrilled I was to have rung up the French garage.  It wasn't just sourcing the bumper, it felt like another piece of the jigsaw of living in France has fallen into place.

Only a few months ago, I would have driven to a Hyundai garage just to ask about the pare-chocs, not being confident enough to ask about it on the phone.

Today, I not only rang the main concessionaire, I got the relevant phone number from him, rang the other garage and even gave him the part number (10 numbers including a "95" quatre vingt quinze) in French, was understood and got the name and address to send the cheque to.  Life can't get better than this...............yipppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Archived