Complete France Forum

Serpillieres auto-fixantes

Frecossais

During a recent stay in France I bought some Vigor serpillieres to clean my kitchen floor back in England. I thought they were such a good idea that I bought them for my daughters too. The idea was that they (no, not the daughters) would fit around the head of a broom and fasten with velcro (attache-balai),  I could see two velcro pieces when I bought them.  It turns out that the velcro pieces I could see were the only ones. From a picture on the packaging they should fasten around the broom handle. Well they do, but they are insufficient to hold in the corners of the cloth and when in use, the cloth simply unwraps, leaving only the attached bit around the broom handle.

OH suspects they are meant to be used with a particular mop head, but there is no indication of this on the packaging. Indeed there are no actual instructions on the packaging, only a glowing account of the attributes of the serpilliere, and the floor coverings it can be used on.

I am not the most practical of people, but my daughter has had the same experience, and OH is a natural problem solver, so........

Has anyone on here used same product successfully?

Should I just use them as general cleaning cloths and buy something from Homebase? (My daughter tells me a similar cloth can be bought there.)  

Any advice or comment would be most welcome.

Is there any way that the attachment of more velcro might solve the problem? It's a question, I guess, as to the cheapest option, Bit pointless spending a fortune on velcro just to sort out a duster, but OTOH, if sewing a bit of extra velcro somewhere would make it "work" it might be worth a go.

I have never bought a serpilliere with an auto fixante. All you need is a

good bristly broom and a good thick old fashioned serpilliere and the

broom clings to the cloth. I still have mine. The worst part of using

this is having to dunk and wring out the cloth, but it works well, and

for someone like my MIL, which a ferious wringing action, meant that the

floors can be washed and dry very very quickly.

Edit, over the years I have bought all sorts of 'makes' and fancier stuff to wash the floors, but the olde fashioned things always work the best and last the longest. Vigor, well I liked the liquid to wash my floors, but that is it. Just looked at the Vigor site and it looked like there is a special handle to go with it.

Yes Betty, I did think I might do that at a pinch - sheer laziness sent me to the forum instead. It may have to be done.

Thanks Idun, but no chance of my cloth sticking to my broom. My floor is laminate that looks like tiles, so I don't use a bucket and water, only a spray. Before I used to get down on my hands and knees, but can't now because of arthritis. Think I will go with the extra velcro.

Thanks again to both of you.

Hands and knees, scrubbing the floors, ah dear, I never could have  done that as a general cleaning task even when my knees were OK.

We use either the serpilliere cloth from France or a mop with a bucket on the bit of laminate we have. All well wrung out before washing the floors and it works ok.

What an enterprising pair of suggestions, Loiseau and Cendrillon.

I do have some "kilt pins" from when my girls were little. I have tried pegs, but they don't do it. Rubber bands? Why yes, I'll give them a go.

I was hoping that a potentially simple idea would work and thus encourage me to wash my floor more often. I'll let you know how it goes.

Archived