Complete France Forum

French Employer Wants to Fire Me!

Kurdyzak1

Hello,

So my employer essentially wants to fire me. I'm working for a French aid organization in a developing country. I am 5 months into a one year Fixed Term CDD contract. I have not received any negative performance reviews, or any other official documentation highlighting the quality of my work. Just some recent negative phone conversations and a couple emails.

They are not even officially saying they are firing me. What they want is for me to sign an amendment of my CDD contract.

What I want to know is should I fight this? I know i'm not going to get a contract renewal, but I also don't want to have to leave in a month.

If I told them that I do not want leave until the end of my contract, does my employer have no choice but to accept my decision, or will they find another way to get rid of me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If I told them that I do not want leave until the end of my contract, does my employer have no choice but to accept my decision, or will they find another way to get rid of me.

Only your employer will know the answer to that, if it were me I would just refuse to sign an amendment to my contract and say not one word more, you will only be giving them leverage.

You leave when you choose to leave, legally they probably cannot terminate your contract before the end without going down disciplinary, failure to perform roads.

Should you fight it? Yes, but by doing absolutely nothing and refusing to sign or have any discussions regarding your contract.

Two sides to every story, they may claim that for whatever reasons they cannot run their business or meet their own contractual obligations with you remaining in the job, they will have limited legal avenues to pursue but that is up to them.

Thank you so much for your feedback! It really does help.

I should have mentioned before that I agreed over the phone to the contract amendment, and also in an email. At the moment, it felt like the right choice, but now I’m starting to regret it.

Does those email/phone conversations hold any weight, or do I still have the right not to amend my contract?

Thanks!

Get in touch with an Inspection de Travail office where ever these people's head office is. You'll find it in the pagesjaunes.fr

Look on this site

http://www.juritravail.com

Now you have agreed, I have no idea whether you have made a bad move already.

My son's girlfriend signed papers that the employer wanted her to sign and that did not go well.

As did my son, who, in his case, ended working lots more hours and less pay.

Archived