Complete France Forum

Peach trees in 47

partout

Hello

I am no gardener, but would like to plant a couple of peach trees and maybe that pretty flowering tree that is so prolifate around Bergerac, and would like a little info please

1 when is the time to plant peach trees

2 do you need to have two trees close to each other

3 are they expensive to buy, ideally would like something that can be planted straight into the garden

4 which variety would be best considering our location near Duras

5 what would the name of those pretty trees be with those wonderful flowers on they look like a lilac but are not, can anyone help with some names, given this rather useless description of mine, i don't hold out much hope.....

thks

Hi Partout

1. Fruit trees (including peaches) are usually planted in the spring or autumn to give them a chance to settle in before the heat/cold weather - around October would be ideal.  If you plant in the Spring you will have to water more during the first summer.

2. Most modern varieties of peach are self-fertile so you don't need to plant two.

3. Depends where you buy them from.  Our local SuperU had some around €15 last year but unless you know exactly what you want you'd be better off going to a local nursery; it may cost you more (around 25€?) but they can tell you which varieties are likely to do best in your area. Peaches are very prone to leaf curl disease (try a search in this section for how best to deal with it) and some varieties are more resistant than others.  If you are planting one in the garden you need to choose a place where it will thrive - south facing and in a sheltered spot, ideally against a wall.

4.  Ask at a local nursery, or look at neighbours' gardens to see whose peach trees are doing best - then ask the variety!  If you don't mind the wait you could ask for a couple of peaches and plant the stones in a pot, leaving them to grow until you have a plant big enough to plant out!  Peaches come white or yellow-fleshed, and there are even the smaller pêches plats, which look as though someone has squeezed them in the middle but taste fantastic.

5.  I think the trees you are referring to are lagerstroemia indica (Crepe Myrtle) which are in full bloom everywhere at the moment in many shades of bright pink.  There are some good photos on

http://www.helenium.net/photography/main.php?g2_page=7

so you can check.

Hope this helps!

Val

• 4 weeks later...

Archived