Complete France Forum

Sunday Times Article

David

Yes, I read the article on Sunday but refrained from posting anything because it would most likely upset the rose-tinted brigade who would see it as anti-French.

It is of interest to me because the hospital concerned is close to us, and the story provides a interesting antidote to the conventional view of the French health system. There may have been a little journalistic licence, but I rather doubt it. It just goes to prove that while France does have a very good health system, it is still far from perfect and things can go wrong.

That's true, SD, but it's worth me commenting because someone in our village was in the same hospital at the same time - if the journalist's statement that it was a few weeks earlier (earlier than publication date of article) is right.

Our friend is a pensioner, probably living on a very low pension - judging by the state of his home - and went to the doctor because he had a numb finger, basically. Doctor referred him to consultant - a day or two later, I think. Consultant said: well, you're here, let's admit you (to the same Vire hospital as in the article) and sort the problem out. Apparently there was some concern that a more vital bit of the circulation system elsewhere was playing up and the numb finger was the symptom. He was in hospital for about a week, had various tests done including an MRI scan and finally had a small operation on his finger. Okay, he didn't comment to us about lack of privacy and he'd driven himself to his appointment, etc, but on-the-spot admittance by the consultant "because you're here for the appointment" didn't make it sound as if there was a lot of pressure on bed occupancy. But one could argue that any pressure on beds might be because someone with a trapped nerve in the finger (or whatever it was) didn't need to spend a week in hospital. So, same period of time, same hospital, apparently different experiences. Which proves nothing, of course. He did complain that his finger wasn't stitched very neatly. [:D]

Did he complain that the food was bad?

That was the only bit about the article that made me doubt that the writer had spent any time before in France - (people don't complain about bad food) I suppose they don't if they are never served any!

Archived