Complete France Forum

E111 cards - confusion

Kitty

You need them (EHIC's now btw) to get treatment in all other European countries, including the UK.  Anybody not entitled to CMU cover, or other access to the French health system, under the new rules, will not now, ipso facto, be entitled to one.  Therefore a further problem which they will have is that they will need to be insured for full medical costs when travelling throughout the Union, either through their PHI or travel insurance. Another iniqity - they will be the only Europeans with no entitlement to an EHIC!

[quote user="krusty"]I wonder if my French issued EHIC will remain valid when my E106 runs out in jan2008 (it is dated until sep2008) ?[/quote]One has to assume not.  Like your Carte Vitale, it is only a card - the real crunch comes when the costs are reclaimed by the country in which you have been ill or injured, from the one in which the card is issued.  I guess it all depends upon how the arrangement works, and whether costs are physically reclaimed, or if it's just a reciprocal agreement.

[quote user="ErnieY"]The E111 has been replaced with the credit card size EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) and I think the old paper E111's are now invalid but don't quote me.[/quote]I'm pretty sure you're right about the E111 - now well out of date, imo.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthadvicefortravellers/index.htm

(Although this link is from the DoH so might have disappeared by the time you try it.[;-)])

[quote user="ErnieY"]

An EHIC is for UK resident citizens to access emergency treatment in other EU countries, i.e. tourists if you will.

If you are non UK resident then it has no validity.

[/quote]

Hi Ernie, EHIC cards are issued in France too, we are resident in France permanently and on our 3rd issue (in France they only last 1 year whereas in the UK, I believe, are valid much longer), its required for visiting other EU countries (including the UK) because we are french residents and are therefore classed as tourists there.    We apply for our's online through CPAM.

[quote user="47AJM"][quote user="ErnieY"]

An EHIC is for UK resident citizens to access emergency treatment in other EU countries, i.e. tourists if you will.

[/quote]

Hi Ernie, EHIC cards are issued in France too, we are resident in France permanently and on our 3rd issue (in France they only last 1 year whereas in the UK, I believe, are valid much longer), its required for visiting other EU countries (including the UK) because we are french residents and are therefore classed as tourists there.    We apply for our's online through CPAM.

[/quote]But if you can't belong to the CMU then this will not be an option 47AJM, that is the point.  Those who are to be chucked out of the French healtcare system will have no entitelement to an EHIC, residence or not.

EHIC cards (CEAM cards in France) are issued by the country that is responsible for paying for your health care, at least as far as E106s are concerned (dunno what the case is for E121s).

While the UK pays for your health care via E106 then you should have a UK issued EHIC card (and not just any old EHIC card that you may have had before becoming resident in France but a shiny new EHIC card issued alongside your E106). That card is then valid for the UK and the rest of the UE (except France, of course).

When the E106 expires, so too does the EHIC, which will need to be replaced (if possible, depending upon circumstances) by a CEAM (otherwise it's PHI).

You shouldn't be combining a CEAM with an E106 (it shouldn't be valid; will you get away with it? I have no idea).

That's an interesting point.

When 'er indoors first tried to blag her way into CPAM in early September on the strength of an E106 refusal letter they took her EHIC card along with the letter, don't ask !

That was just as all this bruhaha was getting ito full swing of course so not too surprisingly perhaps she never heard a word from them. In the meantime though I've got my E106 so we're both now affiliated but despite a few attempts we have singularly failed to get her EHIC returned. 

It it's true that we actually need a new (different) E106 from UK then thats something I wasn't aware of so we'd better make some calls to organise it. 

Thanks for the tip [;-)]

A couple of points.

The EHIC/CEAM replaced other forms beside the E111, so its scope is wider than the old form. Under some circumstances the EHIC is valid for other than just emergency treatment for visitors - it can be used for continuing treatment for temporary (not permanent) residents who need it. 

Next, the card is issued by your primary health provider - i.e. whoever it is to whom you pay/paid your health contributions under an European state scheme. E106 holders are a bit of a strange case. In theory, because the NHS issues your E106, you should get your EHIC from the NHS as has been stated previously. However some people seem to have applied to their French provider (e.g. CPAM) under the belief that because they are affiliated to the French system they should have a CEAM, and the cards have been issued - apparently in error.

When and/or if inactive people cease to be affiliated to the French system they will be eligible for neither EHIC nor CEAM, and thus will come under the category as non-Europeans. If they are not admitted into a European state scheme they will have to get their private insurance to cover them for visits to other countries. Britain is about the only major EU country which issues E106 to inactive citizens abroad, the other countries whose national schemes are based on private insurance, like Germany, as well as those with state schemes like Ireland, do not issue E106s in the same way. So it's probably a bit disingenuous to expect the British Government to offer continual funding of your healthcare when you take early retirement abroad, even if you do pay taxes to them.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="47AJM"][quote user="ErnieY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]But if you can't belong to the CMU then this will not be an option 47AJM, that is the point.  Those who are to be chucked out of the French healtcare system will have no entitelement to an EHIC, residence or not.[/quote]

My post was not relating to those affected by the new healthcare changes, it was relative to those not affected and who require an EHIC card and who are french residents.  Ernie had said if you were non UK resident they had no validity, which is true if they were issued by the UK and you are french resident, but people not affected and french resident must apply to CPAM every year.

[quote user="47AJM"][quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="47AJM"][quote user="ErnieY"]

[/quote]

[/quote]But if you can't belong to the CMU then this will not be an option 47AJM, that is the point.  Those who are to be chucked out of the French healtcare system will have no entitelement to an EHIC, residence or not.[/quote]

My post was not relating to those affected by the new healthcare changes, it was relative to those not affected and who require an EHIC card and who are french residents.  Ernie had said if you were non UK resident they had no validity, which is true if they were issued by the UK and you are french resident, but people not affected and french resident must apply to CPAM every year.

[/quote]True.  Anybody employed/running a business etc will still get their EHICs here, from the CPAMs as usual (plus anybody else who is not affected by the new rules and isn't covered by an Eform- whomsoever they may turn out to be.)

Archived