Complete France Forum

colon irritable ?

Frenchie

Today, for the third time,  I' ve had what I d call a " crise" , a sudden and extremely violent pain at the bottom left side of my tummy, as if my intestine was being torn, I screamed, pressed my hand against it, for a few seconds, then it was gone........... [blink]

It already happened to me once,  but then it lasted for about 5 minutes, I called my doctor , screaming on the phone [:$] that he should come and help me, when he arrived, that was over ......  ( that was about 18 months ago)

No other symptoms at all.

He spoke of the syndrome du colon irritable, but he wasn't sure.

Now I fear those moments, even if they are rare.

Has anyone ever felt the same ? 

I have experienced exactly that a couple of times Frenchie albeit over 20 years ago.

The first time I was actually sitting on the toilet (normal routine visit) when it suddenly hit me and I actually passed out and fell onto the floor.

The second time was not quite as dramatic and did not knock me out but lasted maybe 30 seconds and was excruciatingly painful neverthless.

In both cases once it had passed that was the end of it and I never sought any medical advice.

Once in a while I will wake in the night with a mild abdominal pain and although I will not actually need to go to the toilet I have learned that going is the only thing which will relieve it and that it will usually require two or 3 successive movements so I take a book and usually end up with 2 dead legs from sitting so long !

Thanks for the link T, I ll try aloe vera, deffo.

AnOther, it s good to know I'm not the only one . What you describe is exactly what it s like, so painful you have the feeling you're going to die or  faint.

This afternoon, it happened while I was sitting next to my 16 year old son, helping him with a French test, all of a sudden he heard me scream like a mad woman, he did not react, it was so sudden, he did not know what was happening and the pain was so excruciating that I could not say a word...

I told him that if this happened again and lasted for longer, he should call the ambulance.?   

I personally try to avoid taking any medicines or drugs unless absolutely necessary and of proven positive benefit and the problem with irregular and passing episodes such as this (no pun intended) is that you could end up chucking all sorts of things down your neck day after day in an effort to stave off something which may never ever happen again.

I do sympathise, having had this kind of trouble from time to time, thankfully very rarely now as I have identified some of the things which can set it off.  For me the main thing is my beloved hot chillies, the hotter the better (was) for me but the effects the next day can be devestating so no more for me unfortunately.  As you have experienced Frenchie, it can hit you suddenly and you get doubled up in agony. The other thing that can do it for me is very strong coffee on an empty stomach although the effects are not as strong as the chillies.  Has there been a change in your diet that might trigger this horrible response?

I've sometimes thought that is I should be unfortunate enough to be executed at dawn, I would request as a last meal a big bowl of hot chillies, then I would cheerfully go to the electric chair [:P]

Stress can be a trigger, as well as certain foods, or over-eating, or having too much harsh fiber! there are many shades of IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome, syndrome du colon irritable), which is unfortunately very common and can on occasion cripple you and really interfere with ordinary life. It can be associated with either constipation or diarrhea, Frenchie. I have lived with this for years, and have learned for myself what some of the triggers can be (anxiety plays a very large part!) - they vary from individual from individual. Google IBS and you will find all kinds of self-help groups and information. If it occurs regularly, your medecin traitant might give you some Spasfon (which can be taken over long periods of time, and prevents spasms of the colon. If you are not regular in your bowel habits, the doctor might also prescribe some psyllium husks (Spagulax) in granules, which are very gentle fiber - it is not a laxative, but a supplement, derived from plant sources.

Not to be confused with IBD (Inflammatory Bowel disease) which is much more serious (Crohns, ulcerative colitis) which involve organic damage.

Good luck Frenchie, it's horrible but not life-threatening.

You can get turmeric in capsule form. The one I get is by mail order from naturebest.co.uk  they are as good as any. Plus, I use as much turmeric as I can get away with in cooking. Peppermint capsules are also good for intestinal pain. I have also found that using probiotics such as kefir (lactic fermented milk, with a special culture) is helpful as it keeps the intestinal flora healthy.

http://www.naturesbest.co.uk/Turmeric-C134/

Sounds like IBS of some sort to me.  I used to suffer badly, but thankfully less so now.  A combination of diet, less stress, homeopathy etc, helped me.  If it is of such short and virulent nature as you describe, sounds like diet and relaxation are the best way to go.  medication can help in the short term, but it did not shift anything (sorry!!!) for me. And see my previous posting on lack of water.  I am sure that, along with a good diet of natural fibre (veg, salads, etc) is far better than any medicine.  IMHO.

I have found Manuka Honey helpful. Anti-inflammatory and anti-bacteria. Yes expensive but well worth a try in my opinion. Can provide an address by pm if you wish as much cheaper from the UK than from a French supplier. You need one with a UMF factor of 15+ or 16+ and a generous teaspoon on toast or whatever at brecky is best.......................JR

Before you look at possible remedies, you need a definate diagnosis, get everything else ruled out and then, and only then ,treat it as irritable bowel. Return to your doctor and tell him you want to be investigated .Often the diagnosis of IBS is made because every other potential cause has been eliminated .One bout of pain may not merit investigation but more than once certainly does

Hello  to you all, thank you  for all your postings.

I am ready to try natural remedies as the ones you ve suggested, if it doesn't help, it can't be bad.

I feel perfectly fine now, but that s how these " attacks" are, unpredictable, extremely painful, leaving you in distress, and the ones around you wonder what's happening !!  

Someone suggested a change in diet, that may be a clue , as I ve had 60 people at home for a giant " garden party" the week end before, I didn't eat anything specific ( lamb; chicken, beans, salad,cheese..) ,BUT I had a bit of alcohol, which I am not used to . Beer in particular.

I don't think this can have any link , but I'm trying to explore all clues...

Encore merci pour vos réponses.

Frenchie, things like aloe vera, turmeric and mint cannot do you any harm as they are foodstuffs and not "drugs" as such.

Moreover, most of these natural remedies work over time; no miracles promised but at least no known side effects!

Bon courage, ma chère......when you handle stress better (don't know how![:D]), the attacks will lessen and may disappear altogether.

AFAIK, these things do not necessarily have a disease element, they are merely functional.  But, it probably is good advice to have a medical opinion in order to exclude anything organically wrong (see previous post to yours).

Archived