Complete France Forum

With Free.Want to go wireless, but How??

Calling all techies. Very confused with all the wireless info out there. I have a Free box, (old black one V4).

There are just too many wires:

main phone input, internet phone, ethernet, and power, and hopefully FTA tv next year.

Looking at the free website, i know i can buy a card that slots into the side of free box, which in theory will give me wireless internet. ( it does look quite primitive though!!!) However I have had a few problems with the free box in the past, but don't fancy my chances of getting the newer modern box.( with built in transmitter) Free seem very reluctant to exchange.

What i was wondering is can i buy a replacement box not free, that will give me all the same features, but wirleess?

Looking at the internet, there seems to be many products available, most of which seem to be for hooking up more than 1 computer in your home. We only have 1 laptop. so not interested in a home network. We just want to hide everything bar the laptop.

Any ideas? thanks

Does your box have a slot on the LH side? If so then - yes - you buy a wifi card from Free on the website, it arrives a few days later, you take the power cable out of the back, plug the card in, put the volts plug back in  and it should start flashing its little LEDs at you...

then the fun starts!

p

Thanks for replies. Yes card slot is on left hand side.  I'm sure my box is slightly faulty though, as to do any reset, i must unplug everything and leave it for a few hours, before switching on, otherwise it crashes. Never understood why, but the solution works. I just did'nt want to buy a card to find lots more hassles due to faulty box. Customer care at free is not good. I was hoping to replace the box with something better, which does the same thing, but do not want to lose the free phone calls which are very good. anyhow thanks for advice.

p.s Has anyone tried or has the newer model of free box ( the one shown on the home page, when you click Wifi) if so how did you get hold of it, and how well does it work.

[quote user="richyrich2"]

p.s Has anyone tried or has the newer model of free box ( the one shown on the home page, when you click Wifi) if so how did you get hold of it, and how well does it work.

[/quote]

Yes it works very well (I think up to 4 computers) the television is wireless as well but perhaps the earlier ones are also.

I got it because it is a new contract.

I have a wifi card through the freebox and it works ok, you have to enable it online and setup any passwords etc

What we used to do was use a Netgear wifi router and swap over to the freebox to use the phone, this was before we got a wifi card (available via free.fr site)

Our previous freebox worked great, no speed problems and wifi would have worked better with that box, with this other box its not so good and I often swap over to the netgear router.
27 euros incl postage via the free.fr site, best buying from them than ebay

Archived