Complete France Forum

French phone, press 1 for .....

Daft question but have you tried it on a French automated switchboard? If it works for one country but not the other I really have no idea.

If it doesnt work for either maybe its been reset for pulse dialling as opposed to multi frequence dial tone, cant recall the terms in French even though I was only doing this a few days ago.

All new phones for a couple of decades have had MFDT.

My old French phone worked ok with UK banks etc, I will now check the new one, you have made me paranoid.

[quote user="PaulT"]Here in France we have a French bought phone and when we phone numbers in the UK and we get the 'press 1 for ..... press 2 for .... etc' it never works. Is there a way around this or is it that French tones are different to UK ones.[/quote]

Paul, we have a French bought phone (Philips) and  it operates the UK automated systems perfectly, we phone our bank regularly and use the "press 1,2 etc. no problems at all. Sounds like it may just be your phone, can you borrow one from a neighbour and try that?

A pleasure to be of service and thanks for the update [:D]

Did it not make clicking noises before when it dialled and seem to take a long time?

I recall about 30 years ago a young friend a BT engineer being so impressed with his first MFDT phone and the then new digital exchange, he said "wow I dial the number and it starts ringin instantly!!"

Could we even have imagined the age which we now live in, the things that we take for granted?

And I am speaking as a luddite that hasnt got a clue about what most of the tech posting are these days, smart phonesn apps, tablets, kindles and all the other jazz, even without that everyday life in terms of communication and information is just so different, this message for example.

Archived