Complete France Forum

complete france forum

Ever since first thing this morning whenever I open the Forum or click on the next post it takes forever to download and open. No problems at all with any other web sites, or dare I say it other forums. Anybody else experiencing this, or anybody with any solutions please?

[quote user="sid"]I'm using IE9 and I think that's the problem. Sometimes I  have to click "refresh" several times to "wake it up". [/quote]

Nope, I don't think it's IE9's fault this time as I use FireFox and waiting for the page to load is like watching paint dry.

And I have cleared my cache, so it's not that either.

Perhaps I will try Chrome - though it is not my Browser of choice, in fact I would go so far as to say I don't like it, but it has its uses.

Sue

Update

Still the same this morning slow as old boots, it's like being back to dial up. As others have said and done; I cleared the cache, I've tried Firefox, still the slow response. What I do get as it's loading is a message in the bar at the bottom of the page, "error on page", that then disappears when the page eventually loads. Will be interesting Thursday when I'm back in the UK using another 'puter and another land line. As I said previously I've no problems on other websites or even other forums.[:(]

I have this in the evening French time, but I had put it down to the server being in the USA, and that being peak Internet traffic time there.

In any case I am sure that the new fashion for constant downloading from 'clouds' to portable devices instead of keeping files on the computer is slowing things down considerably

Response times are good this morning on my iPad using Safari. I feel a lot of the problems are caused by the fact that the site does not conform to modern standards for HTML which would explain the problems with the more modern browsers like FF and IE9 which expect correct code. It is an admission that something is wrong with the coding when you have to use the comparability button

[quote user="NormanH"]I have this in the evening French time, but I had put it down to the server being in the USA, and that being peak Internet traffic time there.
In any case I am sure that the new fashion for constant downloading from 'clouds' to portable devices instead of keeping files on the computer is slowing things down considerably
[/quote]

I'm downloading from clouds again right now, Norman.... it's called rain, and it seems to be taking weeks! Come on sunshine! 

[quote user="suein56"]Regretfully I have to admit that FF has let me down, or rather that Archant has patently not updated its code to keep up with FF.

Using Chrome access to the forum is fast and fine.

Sue - who really does prefer using FF[/quote]

My impression is that the forum is not at the top of the list as far as Archant's priorities are concerned.

They're probably more likely concentrate on their mags, which are actually profitable (I hope!) rather than the forum (and its software), which is simply an add-on to their business.

Having said that, I haven't had any problems with Firefox (18.0.2) or Safari on iPad.

[quote user="Clair"]My impression is that the forum is not at the top of the list as far as Archant's priorities are concerned.

They're probably more likely concentrate on their mags, which are actually profitable (I hope!) rather than the forum (and its software), which is simply an add-on to their business.[/quote]

Of course they do and quite right too; which is why I only mentioned the problem and hopefully did not rant about it. Then used Chrome to access the forum, whilst fervantly hoping that the slowdown with FF would only be temporary. And it was ... all back to normal now.

[quote user="Clair"]Having said that, I haven't had any problems with Firefox (18.0.2) or Safari on iPad. [/quote]

I did experience a genuine slowdown - almost a stop, with FF; it was painful. But, as I said, all is OK now.

Sue

Nope! No change here, still sluggish or stopped, and I think Rabbie is correct when he mentions the "compatibility" button, the whole purpose of which is to try to cater for websites which are not exactly up to scratch; I have to have that set in order to be able to post. My browser just hangs up for nearly every page. I click refresh, sometimes several times.  I've checked my browser add-ons, which is often cited as a source of trouble, they're all disabled.

I use other forums with different (better) formats and presumably more up-to-date software (vBulletin is one) and have no trouble whatsoever.

I think I'll have to find a copy of Internet Explorer 4 just for this forum. [;-)]

One workaround is to always open different threads in separate tabs, then at least I don't have to wait when I go back to the original page.

Archived