Complete France Forum

mobile call france to france ===== france to uk

Welcome to the Forum.

For calls within France, it is worth looking at:

# The Post Office (Bureau de Poste) - they offer a selection of packages without a contract

# LeClerc Mobile - the credit on their pay as you go system lasts longer than many others (warning - the credit on many French mobile phones only lasts for a limited period of time)

As for calls to the UK from France and vice versa, this is more of a problem.  There are phone and roam packages available but they are expensive.  For example, EE have a phone and roam deal for £35 per month that includes landline and mobile calls to and from France and the UK. It indcludes data roaming in the UK but in France, it has to be switched off as otherwise, it gets too costly.  I also understand that Teleconnect offer an inter-country mobile package.

I hope that this helps.

Have a look at the pay-as-you-go card from Simyo

http://www.simyo.fr/telephonie-mobile/home.html

Also, if you mainly call numbers in the UK that you know in advance (e.g. friends & family) then you can set up an account with Rebtel which will provide you with a local number in France for each of your listed contacts . .

http://www.rebtel.com/

Please be very very very careful of Simyo.

We went with one of their cards - provided you topped up every so often you KEPT your credit.

And then suddenly they changed the rules of the game - they INCREASED the amount you had to top up by and REDUCED the time you had to use it.

We had about 30 Euros on ours by then,  and realised that the way they'd changed things it would be VERY expensive to keep going - so in order to deprive them of as much as possible we blew our credit on overseas calls until it ran out.

They had run a big publicity campaign (including prime time on TF1) at the time we joined,  and it became obvious that when they changed the rules a year later they'd known all along what they were about - not the first time that this has happened in France with Telcos.

A very slimy company - be warned (and this isn't just a personal attack on them from me,   a bit of googling will show it was us and many others).

Hi, I've been using FREE Mobile for 3 years now with no problem.  2 euros a month Direct Debit to include 2 hours of French calls (mobile and landlines) and for a one-off payment of either 10 or 15 euros (can't remember which) you get international access with low rates.  Cost of international calls are taken from your Direct Debit monthly, but I've never paid more than 5-6 euros including the 2 euros.

This has worked fine for me in France, UK, Italy and Spain - worth a look.

[quote user="Martin963"]Please be very very very careful of Simyo.

We went with one of their cards - provided you topped up every so often you KEPT your credit.

And then suddenly they changed the rules of the game - they INCREASED the amount you had to top up by and REDUCED the time you had to use it.

We had about 30 Euros on ours by then,  and realised that the way they'd changed things it would be VERY expensive to keep going - so in order to deprive them of as much as possible we blew our credit on overseas calls until it ran out.

They had run a big publicity campaign (including prime time on TF1) at the time we joined,  and it became obvious that when they changed the rules a year later they'd known all along what they were about - not the first time that this has happened in France with Telcos.

A very slimy company - be warned (and this isn't just a personal attack on them from me,   a bit of googling will show it was us and many others).

[/quote]

We must have a different card to you, ours has no limit and you can top-up small amounts.  I think we got the card originally through B&You which transferred to Simyo, so for new cards the rules may be different - always worth checking the small print!

[quote user="mazandcol"]Hi, I've been using FREE Mobile for 3 years now with no problem.  2 euros a month Direct Debit to include 2 hours of French calls (mobile and landlines) and for a one-off payment of either 10 or 15 euros (can't remember which) you get international access with low rates.  Cost of international calls are taken from your Direct Debit monthly, but I've never paid more than 5-6 euros including the 2 euros.

[/quote]

Friends have just got theirs and are pleased. Can you get just a sim card and where from?   I forgot to ask them

[quote user="Martin963"]

Please be very very very careful of Simyo.

[/quote]

Absolutely right, they acted in the same way as NRJ did a few years back; big fanfare then change the rules when they had signed up the clients.

[quote user="tinabee"]

We must have a different card to you, ours has no limit and you can top-up small amounts.  I think we got the card originally through B&You which transferred to Simyo, so for new cards the rules may be different - always worth checking the small print!

[/quote]

We got our through B&You too, they wrote, at point of changeover to Simyo, that our original conditions of payment, usage and credit etc would be preserved.

Sue

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="mazandcol"]Hi, I've been using FREE Mobile for 3 years now with no problem.  2 euros a month Direct Debit to include 2 hours of French calls (mobile and landlines) and for a one-off payment of either 10 or 15 euros (can't remember which) you get international access with low rates.  Cost of international calls are taken from your Direct Debit monthly, but I've never paid more than 5-6 euros including the 2 euros.

[/quote]

Friends have just got theirs and are pleased. Can you get just a sim card and where from?   I forgot to ask them
[/quote]

Just go on line, I think its mobile.free.fr

They dont seem to have the same stupid security procédures as the others wanting your Inside leg measurement etc, I have a client at the moment that has had one sent to my address, his temporary address,  he is a foreigner and doesnt even have a French bank account.

Carlos Lejackal, I'm sure I have heard his name somewhere before [:D]

The snake oïl bit I get, the watermelons have gone over my head.

I did however do some shopping for him when he crocked his ankle and watermelon was on the list, should I be worried?

And can you explain the joke I didnt get please!

[quote user="Chancer"]

The snake oïl bit I get, the watermelons have gone over my head.

I did however do some shopping for him when he crocked his ankle and watermelon was on the list, should I be worried?

And can you explain the joke I didnt get please!

[/quote]

Jackal

I came across togglemobile on another site - I am passing the info on but have not used the service at all:

Apparently you get a normal UK mobile phone number on the SIM card but the card can also hold up to 8

other temporary mobile numbers. These are used when abroad to get a

'local' mobile number in that country (The countries in which it operates include France). That 'local' number can be

obtained free for 30 days or £5 to keep it for a whole year.

Calls to the UK from a Toggle country (with a local number) are 3p a

minute to either land-line or mobile whilst incoming calls are free.

If you have one or more 'local' numbers then dialling any of them

OR your normal UK number will get through to you. 'Local' numbers are

best used for calls to your mobile made from within that 'local'

country.

If you are in a Toggle country then incoming calls are free - so if

someone calling you has free inclusive minutes to UK mobile numbers the

call may very well be totally free for both parties (they call your UK

mobile number for free - you receive the incoming call for free!)!! In the 15 Toggle

agreement countries incoming calls cost 16p connection charge. In all

other countries normal per minute rates apply.

Chancer, I'd watch out if I were you - yer man there may not want to leave anyone behind who could identify him  to the authorities ...