Complete France Forum

He looks so sad, Brasco English Setter Gironde

Brasco, a nine year old English Setter, was abandoned at the Refuge des Clochard Poilus at Tabanac (33) with his friend last June.  The other dog found a new home but Brasco is still there and at his age is suffering from the cold.  This photo was taken in the Summer. 

If someone in that region could offer him a warm place by the fire, maybe as a companion to a dog already in the family, he probably wouldn't be much trouble.

http://www.refugedetabanac.com/

Hi,

I'm new to this site but my heart broke when I saw these photos of this English setter! We have a holiday house in Basse Normandie but live in Hampshire, England at other times. We lost our two dogs, (Cavaillier King Charles and Welsh Springer Spaniel, aged 14 and 16 respectively) over two years ago and have only now felt ready to have another dog.

Is it too far to bring Brosco to Normandy? And could he have the relevant papers to bring him back to England?. We live in a small village on the large Village Green and are VERY dog friendly.

I hope this lovely dog finds a good caring home.

Hi Christine,

He is soooo beautiful and we'd LOVE him here. I did wonder about the rabies vac. I suppose it's stupid to even think that Brasco would still be with you in June (when we could come and pick him up and bring him back to the UK) if you were able to have him vaccinated now. Unfortunately my husband's work requires us to live in England for the time being. I'd like to keep in touch with you JUST to see what happens to this absolutely adorable dog.

Thanks and keep up with this excellent work. Just wish I could help.

Hi Christine,

Thanks for those kind words from the girls at the refuge about Brasco. I'm sure they are looking after him well but there's nothing like a real family! My first dog when I was a child in the Highlands of Scotland was an English setter so this particular dog has sooo touched me.

Yes, Christine, our house is in the L'Orne region, near Domfront. Lovely house with many acres only bought a year ago! We love it....but it needs a dog!!! Unfortunately at the moment we live betwix the UK and France.

Thanks Christine for all that you do for all these dogs.

P.S .

Christine, I would obviously pay for the rabies vac and/or anything else Brasco might need but what are the chances of you being able to find him a foster family to keep him until we are allowed bring him home to Hampshire? Has Brasco really been at the refuge since last summer?? Unbelievable!

Hello again Amanda.  Would you know of anyone in your area of France who could keep him for you?  Unfortunately, I don't have any foster homes or I would be putting some of those dogs from Niort there.  I have had one very kind offer of a foster home by a French girl (North of Paris!) where we took Nénette to save her from Niort, but that is all.

Silly situation isn't it.  There is no more quarantine in England, but it's now on this side !

P.S. If you knew of anyone near you who could keep him for you, you could have him with you when you are over.   [:)]

Hi Christine,

I've attempted to write a message on another forum covering the Normandy district to see if I can find a foster home for Brasco for 6 months but their admin would not allow me  unless I added the microchip number of Brasco or his mum!!!! They say it's French law!

Can you advise me please?

Amanda, I know the site you refer to and it really annoys me at times. It removes any posting asking for or offering help to animals because of this obscure rule, yet despite this holier than thou attitude it does things like allow illegal tradesmen to plug their services and accept houses for sale from agents without the required professional cards, which are clearly and definitely against the law. Moreover, people actually stand to be harmed or conned if they respond to those ads, whereas rehoming animals hurts nobody. I wonder how long Christine's posting will be allowed to stay?

Rant over, and I hope you and the dog manage to get together. Should it not work out, there is another refuge nearer to you in Normandy, although it's just in Brittany. It's another really caring, clean and well organised place, with plenty of beautiful dogs and cats looking for homes. See http://membres.lycos.fr/amisdesbetesfougeres/.

Thanks Will for your 'words'.

Actually I couldn't agree more with what you say! But Christine has now kindly posted her own plea, on my behalf,on the Angloinfo forum...(how did she know of whom I was referring????!!!!). So now it's just 'wait and see' time.

Thanks Christine

Hi Christine.

Yes, have received them and have written to you via another personal  email add. Just a wee bit confused about all these addresses but certainly am keeping in touch. Do you want me to send you copies of letters I  write to the aforementioned people?

Many thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just heard that Amanda and her husband came down to Bordeaux to fetch Brasco on Saturday and the refuge say he left "avec des gens formidables" (with wonderful people).

To have made all that journey with the snow and everything, they must be wonderful people!  Bravo Amanda and hope to hear from you soon.   [kiss]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

I have just heard that Amanda and her husband came down to Bordeaux to fetch Brasco on Saturday and the refuge say he left "avec des gens formidables" (with wonderful people).

To have made all that journey with the snow and everything, they must be wonderful people!  Bravo Amanda and hope to hear from you soon.   [kiss]

[/quote]

I have read this thread, and think what a wonderful person you are Amanda, and of course Christine. I am so glad that Brasco has found a family. [:)] He is indeed a beautiful dog. I love animals, but my husband is so alergic to them, that we can't have any.

Archived