Complete France Forum

Only one refuge in l'Indre??????????

I lost my beautiful and adored Utopie today to a variety of problems including a perforated ulcer and a massive abdominal infection, not helped by the vet who turned us away twice showing a belief that I was just a "panicky mother" worried over a bit of vomiting.........but that's another story.

I am packing up some things, and, having about 8 - 10 kilos of RC dog food I looked in the yellow pages for an SPA and discovered that there seems to be only one animal refuge listed for the whole of l'Indre.  The one I found is at Montierchaume.  For me, it is near enough to go and drop off anything that may be useful to them but I had no idea that such places were so thin on the ground.  How on earth do they manage?

[quote user="Dog"]

My condolences at the time of your sad loss.

Use the food and take a deserving dog away from the SPA you will help yourself and the unfortunate animal.

[/quote]

Oh, I would Dog, I really would , even two, but my husband has Alzheimer's and we may have to give up on France and go back to UK with little notice, even 'tho we hate the idea.  Utopie was passported etc and could leave at any time - in the back of the station wagon and straight through the tunnel.  Another dog would mean at least 7 months wait and I could not give a dog a loving home and then have to return it to a shelter. 

We are getting old and so should not have another young dog but when we do get back to UK, perhaps we will be able to foster old and unwanted Danes for one of the Great Dane rescues.

So sorry to hear you have lost Utopie Anne, I lost my wonderful Oliver very suddenly 7 weeks ago, he was a few weeks short of being 6.

I only have one SPA in my area but the Pheonix Association is up your way and they have a few foster homes as well.

Ann

I am really sorry to hear about Oliver Ann.  It is astonishing what a hole they leave in your life, the things you go to do for them and then remember that they are no longer there. 

I didn't know that Pheonix were up here,  I thought they were only in the Dordogne.   Still, it is just a few kilos of dry food and a few cans. Not worth too much of a shlep around.  I don't know why but I had always thought that there would be an SPA in every largeish town but it seems not.

You are not the Ann that I know from a Great Danes Forum are you?  That Ann lives/lived in Landes and I seem to remember that she had a Dane called Oliver but perhaps he was a little older than 6.

I saw this when you first posted Anne and I couldn't reply.  We participated on here in your adoption of Utopie.  We all knew her and the other Danes in your life.  I am so sorry, I've sent you a pm.  I always admire your courage through everything.   [kiss]

The other Ann, I am so sorry also about Oliver.  Great Danes are so special and to lose them is terrible, especially as often they are so young.

Archived