Complete France Forum

SPA in France

Lori

Yesterday I saw the program LES CAGES de la LIBERTE (on Planete TV).  I've never seen the show, but this episode focused on the SPA Refuge de la Renaissance in Marseille (not far from me).  It was amazing to me what they do and what they see.  The dedication of the staff was very impressive.  I felt so bad for all those animals, although they do seem well cared for as best they can be.  They have more than 500 now !  They say fewer and fewer are coming to adopt them.  How sad... 

Just when I was sufficiently impressed by the French SPA system, the next show was SPA - Ou va l'argent??  Show was about the amount of donations on record with the SPA and the inability to track where any of it was being spent.  They showed SPA's in various regions of France that were in horrible condition, animals suffering terribly and when the show's producers were able to make contact with the staff at these places (many refused to speak to them), they were told the SPA in Paris states there are no funds for improvements.  The show was made in 2005.  I wonder what has come of that situation.

I'm sure there are folks here that know more than I do.  Are you aware of this issue - investigation of SPA regarding donations/funds - ?

It is so hard to see the animals with no homes and suffering.  Then, when you think about donating some money and see the investigation, it makes you think twice..

A couple of years ago I went to my local SPA to volunteer to help (with anything – renovation/painting/cleaning-out/anything).  I was told I needed to pay 20€ and then I would be allowed to take a dog out for a walk !!  As for help in any other way, they were just not interested.  It looked like the refuge could really do with quite a bit of work as well.

Needless to say I was unable to provide any help (free, volunteer, etc.) as it was just not wanted.

Ian

Ian - that is a shame.  I too have considered trying to volunteer at the Isle Sur la Sorgue SPA as it is the closest one to me.  I wonder if I would be greeted with the same uninterested response.  Too bad for the animals.  Even if they were not keen on volunteer workers, they could at least let you come and play with the animals on a regular basis.  THEY would appreciate it.

Christine - Since the show was made in 2005, I suspect it was a repeat that I saw yesterday.  I'm sure it will air again, but have no idea when.  They were both aired on PLANETE TV - I have Canal Satellite service.

I'm glad to see the investigation is taking place, but who knows how much money was "skimmed" for "other" purposes, while poor innocent dogs and cats suffer.  That really makes me mad.

It's really not quite as simple as that, just doing some voluntary work and I'm sure you will find out it's more to do with the "System" here, also you would probably need to be a member as a minimum requirement. The law and requirements for associations in France are a lot more complicated than many understand, a voluntary worker has to be insured for a start. If I organise something, it has to be recorded in advance, where, when and what the activity is and I doubt that it's much different in the UK these days.

As is constantly pointed out to me, when you are in the UK you drive on the left, when you are in France you drive on the right - the laws are not the same!!

Chris

I'm sure you are right Chris pp.  I would imagine the French legal system does not adapt to volunteerism.  Too bad really, they hurt themselves in the long run. 

Still feel sorry for the animals.  Perhaps you would simply have to be "someone" who comes by once or twice a week to "visit" the animals and play with them.  Un-announced, un-planned... then I wonder if they would let you in...

I have no doubt about the regulatory differences between the UK and France.  Before I visited the particular SPA centre I checked the SPA web site and they were asking for volunteers to help out at all/any of their centres (to do things like general maintenance, painting, helping will both animal and non-animal related things).

When I went to the particular centre I got a decidedly frosty reception.  I got the feeling that those there were employed and saw volunteers as being a threat to their jobs (though with job security being what it is I did not think that jobs could be “threatened” as such).

I was proposing maybe a day or two a week.  I was quite happy to do non-animal related stuff (on the basis that it would give others more time to spend occupying the animals). Their attitude was that you pay a subscription and you can then take the dogs out for a walk – and I sort of felt that I have my own dogs I can take out for walks, combined with that area it was in I’d have needed to take a big vicious dog to avoid being mugged.

Ian

When we first came here we went to the SPA for a dog and we were

horrified by the conditions that the poor animals were living in. Sorry

for the staff too who were doing their best. The cages were

overcrowded, full of faeces, fights going on and an infernal din .It

upset us for some time, but what can you do? By the way there are

regulations in UK too about voluntary workers. eg in charity shops, old

people's day care centres etc. You can't start work until all the

checks, insurances, references etc. have been observed. Pat.

Archived